Name an unjustly derided movie.

What, not this one? :smiley:

“The Postman”. Not saying that it was a great movie, or even a particularly good one. Just that it was nowhere near as bad as you might think from the reviews/critics.

Thpthh. You just didn’t understand them man.

:slight_smile:

Oh why thank you. That is so kind of you. It’s a good movie and anyone who disagrees is wrong.

It was a Mad Max movie on boats. It was never intended to be Citizen Kane. Taken for what it is, it is an entertaining romp. If the studio spent too much money making it, that’s their problem.

Fair enough, I said Signs was unjustly derided, not that it was Citizen Kane. Most of the flak comes from people who don’t understand the ‘water weakness’ is an homage, and also it’s not water, it’s impurities in the waters. Or maybe some people just hate spiritualism in their Scifi.

As for Starship Troopers, it’s a brilliant satire on the Empire of United States. Been to a ball game lately?

As usual the book was much better. And I think they could have followed it a bit more closely and made it a better movie. I’m no fanboy who things that movies should follow a book exactly. But sometimes it’s hard to see why certain things were changed.

“Bill and Ted’s Bogus Journey” was a genuinely funny picture.

Speed Racer
On the surface it looks like somethng Michael Bay would have made. A completely stupid, loud, non-sensical piece of garbage made mainly for the eye-candy.
And being over 2 hours I think most people thought “OMG, I can’t watch this for that long.”
But it actually told a good story of a racing family, an evil corporate racing empire, and race fixing. It had a good cast and even the secondary characters had interesting back stories.
I thought it had a great story and the in-your-face color explosion filming style was just a plus.

It’s a shitty movie and anyone who disagrees is wrong.

You’re welcome.

Was that derided or just forgotten? I do agree it was funny.

Joe Dirt - it’s a sweet, uplifting story of an idiot, who refuses to quit, bumbling his way across the US in search of his family.

Mom and Dad Save the World - it’s silly, it’s ludicrous, and it made me laugh. And it has Kathy Ireland!

Sadly, I knowexactly what you mean. I find somewhere else to be at the [del]Two Minute Patriotism [/del] 7th inning stretch.

I don’t know if anyone actually derides “Josie and the Pussycats”, but it’s perfectly watchable.

Serious question: how much like the cartoon is it? Did it catch the feel of the 'toon, or is it just a movie about people with the same names?

As for another example, I think What Dreams May Come is a fine movie. I don’t understand why it is singled out for derision. I mean, I like Titanic, but I do understand why it gets hated. WDMC just seems like a middle of the road movie, not a particularly offensive one.

I was reading through this thread thinking I didn’t have an example until I saw this post.

Speed Racer worked as a film. It had the graphics front and center, and if you think that’s a bad thing you can never watch 2001: A Space Odyssey or Apocalypse Now ever again. Films have been made to capitalize on graphical style since the silent era, with a prime example being Metropolis (a Great Film, but by no means a good film), and dumping on one example is just showing ignorance of the form.

It also had a good, workable plot with actual characters. No, it wasn’t plot-heavy. No, it wasn’t full of perfectly well-drawn characters. It was Dickens, not Faulkner, except Dickens didn’t plot that tightly most of the time: It had broadly-drawn characters who filled roles of dramatic necessity, as storytellers have been using forever, and they played off each other to provide dramatic tension. The plot was sentimental and Hollywood and if you expected anything else that’s your problem.

The movie was a well-made dessert. If you went in expecting a plate of clams, that’s your problem.

Waterworld is usually thought of in the same regard as Ishtar and Heaven’s Gate.

I’ve never seen the last two, and I didn’t see Waterworld until maybe 10 years after it came out, but I thought it was pretty good actually.

Ishtar The first 20 minutesis comedy gold. It flags a bit, but is first class from the time they go to the bazaar to find the blind camel. The ending is rushed, but overall it’s a pretty funny movie. And Paul Williasms’s songs are hilarious (“I’m sending you some love in my will.” and “Dangerous Business.”

I think What Dreams May Come may be one of my favorite movies. I think it is beautiful, engaging and fascinating. I recently went back and looked at some reviews of it when it came out and am just confused by the overwhelming shrugs the critics gave it.

Also, like I’ve said in other threads-- I will defend The Postman with every breath. It’s a good movie.

Bridgette Wilson-SAMPRAS :smack: :mad:

I don’t care if he’s Babe Ruth back from the dead, he is not WORTHY!