Name an unjustly derided movie.

For some reason Oscar is 13% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes. I don’t get it - I think it’s a cute little movie.

Absolutely agreed, I came in here to say this. How’s about you and I start up a rock n’ roll band? I’ve got an accordion.

The book kinda went off the deep end with

the super-soldiers, the various oddball locations (such as the fake computer place)

The movie-makers decided to strip it of all that but that made it very generic action movie as a result.

Its actually kind of fun, until the last 10-15 minutes and then its just a complete and utter mess.

It does have massive shortcomings but it isn’t a total failure. People tend to look at movie budgets and act as if they would get that money if it weren’t spent on that movie.

Exactly. People were expecting John McClane and got David Addison instead.

I detest Signs. I detest any movie that tells me to just not try to do anything with your life because God has already decided everything ahead of time.

My choice is Howard the Duck. C’mon, it’s Howard the Duck!

Dances With Wolves: it’s become a tiring meme to bash this great film simply because it stars Kevin Costner, who admittedly has made some clunkers since then. But this movie had an outstanding cast and was beautifully filmed. I’ve watched it several times, the last time after reading the umpteenth ‘teh sux’ comment, and it’s as engrossing as the first time I saw it.

An American Carol has an 11% approval rating from critics on Rotten Tomatoes. But I thought it was hilarious.

I think the main reason Dances With Wolves gets a lot of flack is because it beat out the better regarded Goodfellas for Best Picture.

As for Signs, I hold by my opinion that it’s a good film until right after you see the video footage of the alien at the Mexican birthday party. After that point, the movie (and M. Night Shyamalan’s subsequent career) went downhill.

No, it’s not brilliant anything. It’s obvious, blatant satire and it basically hit you over the head with it, no subtlety at all. And there is no Empire of the United States in any sense of the word that has any real meaning. Being patriotic doesn’t make you an empire.

Sorry, you can’t join. :wink:

I agree about **Oscar/B], one of the best film farces since the 30s.

Step back for a second and ask: is there any possibility–any whatsoever–that there’s a link between the fact that you’re the one being satirized, and your feeling that it’s not a good satire?

I didn’t like Starship Troopers much, but the overwhelming bulk of criticism it gets is, IMO, misguided. And I kind of enjoyed Signs, the last Shyamalan movie I was able to enjoy; I personally go with the “they’re demons, and it’s a Job tale” interpretation, and while that’s not a God I believe in, it’s a good story, even if the God it describes is both Old Testament and vaguely Lovecraftian.

I’ve never understood why Death to Smoochy inspired such hatred. Robin Williams normally irritates the fuck outta me, but it was okay here because he gets beat up a lot.

For me, it’s The Best of Times. Its Rotten Tomatoes rating is 33% and its IMDB rating is 5.9, but I’ll always love it dearly.

It has some significant flaws, but its strengths more than make up for them.

I’m not the one being satirized and I’m hardly the only one to consider it bad satire. It’s not a well made movie.

Yeah, maybe he thought it extended to modern propaganda, but the obvious target of mockery felt like WWII newsreels and war pumping. I doubt a single person watching the film felt personally mocked.

Amazing Spider-Man 2. I liked it a lot. The entire world is wrong and I’m right :slight_smile:

Battle: Los Angles. A really good war movie.

I’ll also say Josie and the Pussycats. It makes fun of the movie you think it is.

Preach it, brother! It’s not a great movie, but I like it for what it was. For some reason though, it actually makes people ANGRY. Jeffrey Jones’ weirdly funny performance as the Dark Overlord is worth the price of admission alone.

Lit-tle pond-hop-per. . .

No, but having a kajillion military bases all over the world does.