Name for the Need to Conform to Expectations

Is there a technical term in psychology or sociology or other academic disciplines for the desire to conform to others’ expectations of you? It doesn’t have to be a desire to please – the expectations could be low, or people could expect you to be an asshole.

But there often is a sense of awkwardness in deviating, with any particular social group, from how we think that social group expects us to behave. There is some strangeness, I think, even in positive growth. What’s the technical term for this internal desire or force that seeks to keep us acting, with the same people, in the same ways?

If it exists, you can find it in the DSM-IV. According to this site, the DSM-IV identifies more than 300 pychiatric disorders. I believe these are the fine folks that came up with ODD (Oppositional Defiant Disorder), i.e., being a normal teenager. :smiley:

If it exists, you can find it in the DSM-IV. According to this site, the DSM-IV identifies more than 300 pychiatric disorders. I believe these are the fine folks that came up with ODD (Oppositional Defiant Disorder, i.e., being a normal teenager.) :smiley: