Name of computeresque typeface?

I only see it nowadays in the string of numbers at the bottom of a preprinted check. Back in the '70s, this font sometimes was used on book titles, etc., for a “futuristic” look. It is in some way associated with computers but I’m not sure how.

It’s called MICR (sometimes OCR). Optical or magnetic scanners read those numbers at the bottom of your checks. The ink is also magnetic, facilitating machine reading. They are probably associated with futuristic style because they were an early form of computer-readable text.

The font is called E13B. As far as I know, it is not optically scanable. The numbers are readable based on the amount of magnetic ink within the invisible square that each occupies, not by their shape.