Name/Picture of Kobe's Accuser: Should I Post Them Here?

No, definitely not. I understand there are reasons for keeping the identity of sexual assault/rape victims secret, although in my mind it isn’t really different than other crimes.

But, should Kobe’s name/reputation be dragged through the mud either? What if she’s lying? What if she gave consent but then changed her mind but didn’t communicate that to Kobe?

Even if Kobe is found innocent there will always be people who will consider him a rapist. His image will be sullied and he could lose all of his endorsements valued in the tens of millions.

Perhaps his name would have been leaked out anyway, but it seems like a double-standard to me.

Should the accused be kept as anonymous as the accuser?

Sidebar: I have seen what is purported to be the woman’s HS cheerleader picture and two prom pictures. Also, her name, if correct, is listed in at least one Lakers discussion board already. But I don’t think her identity should be public so I won’t post them here or anywhere.

You can keep the accused’s name out of the public eye. And you’re severely overestimating the damage to his reputation. In some circles, a conviction for rape is a sign of martyrdom. There are lots of people who believe that it isn’t rape if there’s no gun.

I haven’t seen his name getting dragged through the mud, though. What I have seen is her being called a gold digger, a trick, a booty call, and so on. some doofus posted her picture n a Live Journal, along with her name and phone number. Nothing similar has been tossed his way. Where’s the mud directed at him?

CNN (tv) has been reporting this morning that the commonly refered to pictures on the internet are not the accuser/victim.

MeanJoe

Not only have I seen her purported name and pictures, but her email address, home address, telephone number, and entry in the college directory, all directly linked from a kobe bryant message board. If they’re real, then I find it pretty sickening.

The answer to your question is simple - email a moderator or administrator and ask them.

The primary issue is whether posting her name/picture would violate the rules or policies of these Boards. And that isn’t a subject for a Great Debate or an opinion poll.

If they say that you can (which I highly doubt, BTW), then a debate on whether you should may be appropriate.

Sua

Sua - I answered my own OP in that I wouldn’t post such info. The real issue is whether Kobe’s name should have been made public since his image/reputation/endorsement value will never be the same and he may be completely innocent of any crime - since I don’t believe adultery is a crime.

margin - the companies paying Kobe millions likely don’t need him to be even convicted - just the public arrest and perception that he may be guilty could be enough for them to drop him. There’s an item on ESPN.com I think about his deals and that the companies will pull out if his image hurts their brands.

(bolding mine. SC.)
And, he wasn’t charged with adultery, which lately is not a crime.

He was charged with a pi]crime*.

There’s no need to know the name of the accuser, nor anything else about her. This will come out during the trial, when a jury should consider the details of this case. Since it’s he said-she said, her credibility will be put on the line soon enough.

As to Kobe, he’s no different than any other accused person. The way things work, when charged with a crime, it’s a public record. There’s gray area during an investigation, though, but apparently Kobe was arrested and this led to the publicity. I’m hazy on this, not having followed it much until he was actually charged.

Instead of arguing whether information should be made public, I wonder if it’s worthwhile to examine how a portion of the American public jumps to conclusions before all the relevant evidence is made public. I don’t nearly enough to make a judgment on either party right now. For those who immediately defend Kobe or who immediately judge him guilty, what are they basing this on, exactly?

I’d have to say that the knee-jerk defenses of Kobe are sexism at its finest. I’ve seen her referred to in the fashion I described, all of which are derogitory terms. The implication is that she’s either a slut, or a gold digger.

Except that there is physical evidence of violence, from what I heard, so it’s more than just he said-she said.

Although rape victims’ names are a matter of public record, the rest of the personal information, especially if false, could give rise to to legal liability.