Name that guitar tone...

Hey. I’m trying to figure out what effect was used on the right rhythm track on “Independent Luxury” by Sountrack of Our Lives. It comes in after first chorus, IIRC.

It’s kinda a percussive fuzz tone, almost like an overdriven harpsichord, if that makes any sense. It’s also used on a classic rock radio staple that I can’t think of at the moment.

I know it’s not much to go on, but anybody got any ideas?

^^
bumpage.

Okay, while sitting at the ball game last night, I realized where I’d heard it before: “Superstitious,” by Stevie Wonder. Yes, that guitar tone. What’s it called, or how is it acheived?

Thanks.

Hi black455,

I am not an expert, but an amateur guitarist who (now you’ve mentioned it) would also like to know how Stevie Wonder got that great sound. Google suggests it’s an “Electric Clavinet” :

http://www.soundofmusic.se/synth/clavinet/clavinet.htm

Quote: ‘Model C (1968). It was this model that Stevie Wonder used on the recording of “Superstitious”’

The software version looks interesting too!

HTH,

Reuben

That’s correct, it’s a clavinet (a keyboard), not a guitar.

I don’t know why they refer to that classic Stevie Wonder tune by a wrong name, though. It’s called “Superstition.” You think they’d want to get that right. :stuck_out_tongue: Either way, it’s a classic riff.

Sorry. I’m not the world’s biggest Stevie buff, but that sounds about right. I’ll see if I can find some samples or midi to play with.

Thanks duders.

Sorry. I’m not the world’s biggest Stevie buff, but that sounds about right. I’ll see if I can find some samples or midi to play with.

Thanks duders.