Name that software.

I have built a custom inventory analysis tool set in MS Access97. I have been calling it Bloodhound for a working title but I would like to find something more “intellectual” sounding.

I would prefer a historical or mythical name, a hunter, a seeker of knowledge. Especially if the name can be somehow associated with books and their production and distribution. I would also like to hear the backstory behind the suggested name.

Winner gets eternal deification in the DB properties screen as the person who named it. You will eventually be famous in inventory circles within my company. :cool:

Athena, Greek goddess of wisdom, also of hunting, I think.

Artemis was goddess of the hunt, I recall.

My nomination: Bubo, the mechanical owl from Clash of the Titans. He hunts, he finds information, he’s even a machine!

Not mythical or anything, but software in these days ofcouse require either XP or a year in the title - so I nominate: InventorIT 2004/XP

How about Metis? From Greek mythology:

Bubo and Metis!

This is the kind of stuff I am looking for!

These are both worthy of consideration…keep them coming folks.

You might want to bypass Bubo, since it also means: “An inflamed, tender swelling of a lymph node, especially in the area of the armpit or groin, that is characteristic of certain infections, such as bubonic plague and syphilis.” (American Heritage Dictionary)

Details, details. :wink:

If not Bubo, how about Bilbo?

And if not Bilbo, maybe Dildo.

Obsolete.

Well, you did say it was written in Access 97. ::flee::

My other two thoughts are Orion and Chuck.

Access97, did you say? Then the only possible choice can be Hindenburg.

:d&r: :smiley:

Yeah, I know…I can only work with the tools they give me, if I required 2K or XP most of my co-workers would not be able to use it. I am still a DB newb anyway so its not like 97 is straining at the seams from my L33t uber code.

drachillix, it’s not that Access 97 is obsolete, it’s that it’s dangerously buggy. Access 97 databases have a tendency to irretrievably explode after a few months (or sometimes years) of operation. When this happens, there is not much you can do to fix them. Access 2000 seems to be a bit better about this, but I’ve still seen it go poof. Making backups won’t help much because the failure is gradual and is generally not noticed until it is far too late. You might have to go back months to find an unfailed version of the database.

This is why nobody with any sense runs a business-critical database application in Access without a back end database engine (either another Access database or, preferably, some form of SQL server such as MS SQL or Oracle or whatever).

How about

drachillix?
or how about

AAPIMTATIW

for

An Access Program I Made To Analyze The Inventory With

C.I.A. Toolset

You meant, of course, “An Access Program I Made With Which To Analyze The Inventory”.

The “I Made” is optional, should you prefer “AAPWWTATI” to “AAPIMWWTATI”, which I do.

Mentat. Probably copyrighted, though.

Igor. “Yes, master; the data is coming, master… please wait…”

Ethilist, you can’t copyright a name; you can only trademark it and the scope of trademark protection on names like that is pretty narrow.

Headhunter