Name the Server

I am having a mental block and need help thinking up a witty name for a new Sun server. It’s gotta be 8 characters or less, and at least marginally appropriate. Any ideas? Thanks!

how about:

notadell

Just a thought :slight_smile:

You can never miss with:

Hortense

The pun opportunities are enormous. But you can always claim that it was Turing’s grandmother’s name or some such.

How about Fusion?

Fireball?
Photon?
Shine?
Ray?
Starlite?
Sunspot?

Is it your first Sun server? If so, how about my1stsun?

Ra? Apollo? Phobos?

-lv

Bob.

Phaethon? You know, the dude who almost burned up the earth when he got loaned the sun god’s chariot? (Run across two versions, one says he was the son of Helios, the other says the son of Apollo.)

Other than that, to be any help, I need to know what its primary function will be. F’rinstance, our Helpdesk server is named Pathos.

Sol.

My computer used to be Typhoon. It’s now Edgar (short for Edgar Snaffleback)

Goddamn.

That’s what people are going to be calling it anyway in a year or so, and you know it. :slight_smile:

Name it after a science fictional computer:

Hal2000
Colossus (from “The Forbin Project”)
Guardian (“Forbin”)
Mike (“The Moon is a Harsh Mistress”)
Multivac (several Asimov stories)
Harlie (David Gerrold)

I have to go with KneadToKnow’s suggestion. After all the security holes in Solaris are found, it’ll be a pain in the ass.

Okay, sorry. I shouldn’t really be speaking badly of any UNIX flavor. I just can’t help myself.

I have to go with KneadToKnow’s suggestion. After all the security holes in Solaris are found, it’ll be a pain in the ass.

Okay, sorry. I shouldn’t really be speaking badly of any UNIX flavor. I just can’t help myself.

Damn tipsy double-clicks. I apologize for the 2*post.

Jennifer. As in “Hello, my name is Jennifer and I’ll be your server tonight.”

Okay, Lowellster, curiousity got the better of me…
What did you name the server?

beer

I put my own little spin on JuanitaTech’s suggestion and went with NUM1SUN. Another problem solved!