Name Those Fictional Games & Sports

BASEketball

Also from Mad Magazine: BaseBrawl

Tall Card, from Firefly

Calvinball

No, but in “The Running Man,” King refers to a sport called “Killball.”

Battlestar Galactica has the ball game (pyramid?) and a card game (whose name escapes me)

the “I’ll buy that for a dollar” gameshow from Robocop

Holochess (or whatever it was) from Star Wars

That basketball like game from Asprin’s Myth series

Brian

See Post #5.

Kosho - A game involving trampolines, a water tank and a box glove - from “The Prisoner” TV series

“Blitzball”, Final Fantasy X
“Cups”, Friends
“Gobstones”, Harry Potter series
“Marshgammon” and “Xing hai shi Bu Xing?” (or something like that, from the Atlantic City episode), How I Met Your Mother
“Pazaak”, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic and a bunch of similar card games from the Final Fantasy series that I don’t recall right now
“Warhamster”, Dork Tower

No fair! detop stole mine!

So I’ll just offer up Counterchance from the Liaden Universe novels instead.

The Game of Blood and Dust, from the story of the same name. Two superior beings manipulate human history to produce either a dead Earth ( Dust ) or a live one ( Blood ). “This time I’ll be Dust, and you’ll be Blood.”

Ballistic Golf : Played by robots; the distance between holes is generally about seven miles.

Sky Polo, played on flying riding robots.

All-Out : Two guys beat the hell out of each other, until one surrenders, falls unconscious, or dies. Rules are no weapons, no biting, no eye gouging, and no hitting the referees; that’s it. The rules are enforced by hitting the violator with a hammer until he stops.

The True Game, from Sheri S. Tepper’s True Game books. IIRC, basically war played as a game, with weird powers tossed in.

I can’t find my copy for the name of the game, but the game in Marianne, the Matchbox, and the Malachite Mouse, which transported it’s players/gamepieces across worlds with each “move”.

Poisonball : A ball played in a court divided by a force field, using a ball that at a set time explodes, spraying that side of the court with agonizingly painful toxins. The goal is to make sure it’s on the other side when it goes off.

Drownball, the parody of Blitzball from 8-bit Theatre. “Two teams enter, no one leaves !”

Variable gravity vollyball, where the gravity randomly changes as you play.

Four dimensional chess, from a Star Trek novel. Pieces can be “timed out” via a mini-transporter ( which leaves them unusable, but untouchable ), to reappear after a chosen number of moves.

S’yang-stones, an undescribed gambling game from the Vlad Taltos books.

Water spider races, from the Garret books.

The hot nurses and I are gonna go play Jigglyball. Later JD.

Does Happy Fun Ball count if there’s no sport explicitly organized around it?

Jack Vance invented Hussade in his far future Alastor Clustor books. I believe it’s being developed as a computer game…
He also described a multi-participant wrestling match, played on a set of concentric circles called the Robles. Details in his book The Face