Eh, I know folks named Kermit, Dick, Clifford, Ronald, and Peter. I’m sure you could come up with some reason not to use any name.
Both Clark and Lois have the smell put on them, albeit less with Lois.
Betty & Veronica are less popular than they were.
Both Archie and Reggie are out.
What about Gonzo, Fozzie and Rowlf? Are they unusable as well?
[QUOTE=Eleanor of Aquitaine]
I wanted to name one of my sons Peter, because I’ve always loved that name, but I was talked out of it (Peter Pan, Peter-pumpkin-eater, etc.).
[/QUOTE]
I’m named Peter and my older sister is Wendy. This was unnoticed by ANYONE, even ourselves, for over 30 years until “Hook” hit the theaters. Then it’s all we heard about.
Barney.
But whether it was killed off by a cave man or a dinosaur is debatable.
That reminds me of Dino. I think Dino is a strong enough name that nobody can kill it off.
I doubt there are many Lolitas out there these days.
Looking at all of the LAN IDs for the company (200,000+ IDs)
7 Kermit
18 Lolita
No Adolf, but 9 Adolfo and 2 Adolph
49 Clifford
7 Elvis
No Barneys, but seven folks with Barney as their last name
66 Raquel
3 Linus
I will not attempt to count how many “normal” names for comparison.
[QUOTE=Sarahfeena]
I heard once that Richard Nixon pretty much single-handedly killed off the name Richard, but I can’t help but wonder if the nickname “Dick” is what did it in.
[/QUOTE]
Huh? I know at least a dozen Richards, many of them born after Tricky Dick’s administration. None of them go by Dick though.
I don’t know any younger people named Norman (Bates), Bart (Simpson), or Felix (Unger, as well as The Cat). Plus a lot of names that weren’t killed by celebrities or fictional characters but have phased out of use: Mildred, Morris, Philomena (which was like my favorite baby name when I was a kid, but nobody under 80 has it). Also Gertrude, which I don’t like because I really like the nickname Trudy for a little girl, but the base name is totally fuddy-duddy.
Somehow I doubt there are a lot of little Eastern European children named Vlad running around.
I doubt that Ghengis is all that common.
Beria seems to have taken a bit of a dive too.
Torquemada is not very popular, but I guess you expected that.
I do not recall meeting an Atlas either, though I have come across a Hercules.
Myra isn’t all that common in the UK, but then, who would want to have the children under their feet having a name like that.
[QUOTE=Patty O’Furniture]
Barney.
But whether it was killed off by a cave man or a dinosaur is debatable.
That reminds me of Dino. I think Dino is a strong enough name that nobody can kill it off.
[/QUOTE]
I know a Dino. He predates the Flinstones, though.
[QUOTE=Patty O’Furniture]
Barney.
But whether it was killed off by a cave man or a dinosaur is debatable.
.
[/QUOTE]
How I Met Your Mother will probably bring it back from the dead.
There’s a guy two offices down from me named Charlie Brown. He’s in his 50s so I guess he predated the whole *Peanuts * thing.
In college, the guy who led our dorm Bible study group was named Damien. I kept waiting for his head to start spinning around or something.
[QUOTE=elmwood]
The Lutheran church I attended as a kid was loaded with old men named Elmer. The name probably went extinct after Elmer Fudd was created.
I wonder how many kids nowadays get named Bruce, considering how that name – really, 'Bruth" – is now considered the quintessential “gay name”. I wonder if Lance and Todd got hit by their stereotypically gay association as well.
[/QUOTE]
I’d rather be an Elmer than an Elmo!! :eek:
[QUOTE=davenportavenger]
Huh? I know at least a dozen Richards, many of them born after Tricky Dick’s administration. None of them go by Dick though.
[/QUOTE]
Really? I don’t know anyone under age about 40 with the name Richard. I’m sure it’s still around to a degree, but it sure has fallen off since the 40s & 50s (put the name into this website and you will see how far it has fallen off (ok, maybe not as much as Adolph, but still…)
[QUOTE=Hypno-Toad]
I’m named Peter and my older sister is Wendy. This was unnoticed by ANYONE, even ourselves, for over 30 years until “Hook” hit the theaters. Then it’s all we heard about.
[/QUOTE]
Really?? What about the book, the Disney movie, and the stage version? All those famous versions of one of the most popular kid’s stories of all times, and no one ever made the connection until Hook came out??
[QUOTE=Marley23]
If Walloon or Exapno were here, they’d link to this site. It would show you that Richard had already been losing popularity for 30 years before Nixon, and that if anything the decline seemed to slow a little in the 70s. And Kermit lost its popularity way before the Frog came along.
[/QUOTE]
Do you understand how long Nixon had been around? He was a well-known senator in the late '40s, and Vice-President in the '50s . . . exactly when the decline started.
[QUOTE=davenportavenger]
Huh? I know at least a dozen Richards, many of them born after Tricky Dick’s administration. None of them go by Dick though.
I don’t know any younger people named Norman (Bates), Bart (Simpson), or Felix (Unger, as well as The Cat). Plus a lot of names that weren’t killed by celebrities or fictional characters
[/QUOTE]
I suspect that’s most of the names mentioned. I’ll buy that names like “Adolf” and “Homer” have been killed off by Hitler & Simpson respectively. But names like “Clifford” and “Felix” likely died off on their own. And “Elvis” probably got more popular because of Presley.
I met a handsome young man named Kermit when I was in college. He should be around 40 now. Maybe he’s el Perro Fumando’s teacher.
I don’t follow the logic about the name Homer. Seems to me that he’s a wildly popular pop culture figure and if anything his name should be hugely popular. For some reason it isn’t, and neither is Bart.
[QUOTE=ouryL]
I’d rather be an Elmer than an Elmo!! :eek:
[/QUOTE]
I’m thinking Grover, Oscar, and Zoe are out too.
[QUOTE=Carm6773]
I’m thinking Grover, Oscar, and Zoe are out too.
[/QUOTE]
Nope, Zoe’s huge. Just outside of the top 50 names in 2003, 2004, and 2005 (so says Baby Name Wizard). Modern Parents love crazy shit in names, and the letter Z is a pretty basic beginner crazy.