Narnia film sequel (Prince Caspian) to be made in the UK rather than New Zealand

[QUOTE=Sonia Montdore]
Are they using the same child actors? 'Cause they must be growing up fast. The actors who played Peter and Susan must be of university age by now. I realize that the Pevenseys and Eustace and Jill age some in the books (until everyone but Susan stops aging altogether), but the kids are going to be too old for the roles very soon. I want to see that endearing little girl who played Lucy again before she hits adolescence.
[/QUOTE]

Well, they really only need the Peter and Susan actors for this one and maybe for The Last Battle, if they do them all. Edmund and Lucy are only in Caspian and Dawn Treader so I don’t think aging will be a big problem.

Also, unlike the Harry Potter books, there’s no set schedule for the Narnia books. Harry Potter covers one year per book, so if the actors age more than a year between the movies, that’s a problem (though not an insurmountable one, of course). But if it takes three years for the next Narnia movie, well, nothing in the books says it wasn’t three years.

And I think that a change of location is probably a good idea for Prince Caspian, aside from any budgetary or other practical constraints. Part of the theme of the book is that Narnia isn’t entirely recognizable to the children when they return, and the subtle differences of scenery from shooting in a different location would be a good way, I think, to bring that to the screen.

[QUOTE=Antonius Block]
lissener, I agree with your point regarding seagoing movies being a staple, and that’s an impressive list which I only had time to glance over (undoubtedly worth a second look later…)

But — Lawrence of Arabia? With 5 seconds footage of a ship in the Suez canal, consuming probably 0.001% of the budget? Not a good example of seafaring celluloid, unless I’m blanking on other scenes. I’d say if you want Palestine-related movies with ships, Exodus is a better bet (still not very nautical, but at least the ship is the title character).
[/QUOTE]

Sorry; thought it would be clear that I couldn’t possibly have compiled that list on my own in a few minutes. I googled “movies at sea” and copy-pasted. If I’d spent more time going over it (I removed a few dupes, etc.), I probably would’ve removed *Lawrence *too.

Now they’re saying it will be filmed partially in New Zealand after all. I think there is some miscommunication somewhere.

[QUOTE=Chronos]
Also, unlike the Harry Potter books, there’s no set schedule for the Narnia books. Harry Potter covers one year per book, so if the actors age more than a year between the movies, that’s a problem (though not an insurmountable one, of course). But if it takes three years for the next Narnia movie, well, nothing in the books says it wasn’t three years.

[/QUOTE]
Well, there are some indications in the books. There’s a stated one year gap between The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe and Prince Caspian and another one year difference between Prince Caspian and The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. There’s then a small gap between Dawn Treader and The Silver Chair (no more than, say, three or four months, if the timing would be anything like American schooling) though by that point it doesn’t really matter how much time passes.

Now that I think about it, the timeline confuses me a bit. If we assume a real-world timeline that the first book is set in about 1940, that puts Dawn Treader in the summer of 1943. Was the Atlantic sufficently safe in 1943 to allow passenger travel by ship?

And I don’t see The Last Battle being filmed. I could be wrong, of course, but to me it’s the weakest book in the series and I just don’t see it going over well.

[QUOTE=asterion]
Now that I think about it, the timeline confuses me a bit. If we assume a real-world timeline that the first book is set in about 1940, that puts Dawn Treader in the summer of 1943. Was the Atlantic sufficently safe in 1943 to allow passenger travel by ship?

[/QUOTE]
And I should clarify this. The reason Edmund and Lucy get stuck with at their cousin’s is that their parents and Susan are off to America as their father has taken a summer lecturing job. So that’s why the timeline is throwing me a bit.

I didn’t know there was an Atlantic in Narnia!

Heh heh…Cabin Boy…heh heh.

[QUOTE=Tracy Lord]
I didn’t know there was an Atlantic in Narnia!
[/QUOTE]

You bumped this thread just to ask about that? :dubious:

No, there isn’t, but some of the off-screen action entails a trip to America.

ALWAYS CHECK THE DATES. facepalm

[QUOTE=Kal]
You forgot Carry On Jack.
[/QUOTE]

COJ was the best of the series! The Death of Nelson was priceless:
“Kiss me, Hardy.”
“Er, don’t think I will, thanks all the same. Don’t want to make 'em jealous back at the Admiralty.”

[QUOTE=lissener]
Sorry; thought it would be clear that I couldn’t possibly have compiled that list on my own in a few minutes. I googled “movies at sea” and copy-pasted. If I’d spent more time going over it (I removed a few dupes, etc.), I probably would’ve removed *Lawrence *too.
[/QUOTE]

So you just made a huge list by copy/paste without giving thought to the movies being added. Have you even seen these movies?

Wait.

Serpico? Godfather 2? The Mouse that roared?

Silent Running??? Soldier?? Those movies take place IN SPACE!!!

Huh?

What was the point of you shitting in this thread again?

What was the point of you harping on about it two months later?

[QUOTE=Malacandra]
What was the point of you harping on about it two months later?
[/QUOTE]
In fairness, it’d probably take two months to go through the list and check that each film was based at sea.

[QUOTE=Malacandra]
What was the point of you harping on about it two months later?
[/QUOTE]

I didn’t notice it was two months old when I posted.

Even so,. Does that make my “harping” less valid?

To some degree, yes, not being involved in the initial interplay and all. Besides, it looked to me like he was making a point tongue-in-cheek, not threadshitting. So to go off about it, especially two months later, seems… less than apropos.