NASA Takes a Cue From Ford's T-Bird

You know how retro’s hot in the car industry, right? Well, apparently NASA thinks the same might hold true for the space program.

It also answers questions about whether or not the Apollo blueprints still exist:

Now, if we could just get them to dust off the plans for the Saturn V…

Well, since ford announced quite recently that they are killing the new Thunderbird*, this sort of makes your attempted point, well pointless.

*For a number of reasons, the biggest one being that they couldn’t GIVE the damn things away, even if they threw in a trip to Hawaii and a complete home emtertainment system.

I’d have a new T-bird if they gave me one.

Oh – about the Saturn V. I was watching UFO today. It was the episode where the aliens had put a device in orbit around the Earth that intercepted ships coming from the Moonbase and forced them into a too-steep re-entry angle. The alien device was hiding behind a piece of Apollo VIII. I was thinking about how magnificent those rockets were, and how cool it would be to fly them again. But then I started thinking about how they would get all of that 1960s technology. I decided we should have a “better” mooncraft. Given lighter construction materials and microchip technology, I wonder what a modern moon-bound spacecraft would look like.

You’re right, Johnny, but a rehash of the Saturn V made with modern materials would be cheaper and easier to construct, than a totally new design. At this point, I don’t care what they build to get us into space, so long as they build something.

Hmm, I wonder if some enterprising EAA member some years in the future will build and launch a Saturn V replica? Maybe 2/3 scale just to be on the safe side…