NASA Wants the Ultimate Beer Cooler for the ISS

They say it’s for cryogenics research.

:rolleyes: Right, guys. You just want it to keep your brews cold.:smiley:

So much for Coleman’s 5-Day cooler.

Finally! Space research with a practical application! I mean, who needs a zero-G pen, anyway? But a better beer cooler is, indeed, a giant leap for mankind. :wink:

Temperatures outside the ISS can reach minus 250 degrees Fahrenheit, which equates to minus 155 degrees centigrade. They can though heat up a bit too, so I hear.

I’d hate to be the beer bitch on that flight.

Minus 250 degrees Fahrenheit? Come on, your brews won’t be cold, they’ll be frozen rock solid! :rolleyes: :stuck_out_tongue:

But only on one side…the side facing the sun will be boiling over…

tries to picture this, head goes explodey Actually, that would be kinda cool… :cool:

My question is: what kind of beers would they be drinking aboard the space station?

Well, since weight is such a factor in space launchers I’d say light beer.

Not just beer… Vodka Martianis, Sloe Oxygen Fizz and Wallbangers too.

Don’t forget the Pan-galactic gargle blasters.

Hmmm…
Beer (or soda pop) in zero-g could be an interesting phenomenon… it would seem to me that since in freefall there would be no reason for the bubbles to “rise”, they would just keep growing right at the point of formation, stuck to the walls of the container or in brownian motion through the liquid, and you’d end up with a drink that was all “head”…

Man alive, can you imagine the advertising that would go along with being the first beer in space? Miller “Missile” Lite, “Sputnik” Schlitz, Bud-“flies’”-er, Blue “Halfway to the” Moon!

Honest question though: Have they ever done any serious experimentation with carbonated beverages? I mean, with the globs of soda (or whatever) floating around, you’d have a big sphere of fizz. Where else would the bubbles go?

Tripler
Serious questions from serious scientific minds [sub]and serious drunks![/sub]

Pepsi and Coke sent specially modified cans in space on one of the shuttle missions. According to the astronauts, only one of the cans actually worked. The other one was simply a jerry-rigged can made to look like it would work.

If you tried to open an ordinary carbonated beverage container in space, the stuff would aerosol and you’d be in danger of drowning in the stuff.

AWESOME!!

IIRC the astronauts unanomously prefered fruit drinks to either soda, too.