National Museum of African American History and Culture

Opening today (in DC). My wife and I didn’t realize we’d need tickets to attend until last week, and they were all “sold” (they’re free) out until November, so we plan to see it then.

I’m phenomenally excited about this. And I was reminded today that Jesse Helms tried to kill it. What an asshole.

Anyone else planning to go see it?

We’ve got tickets…for December.

I’ve been looking forward to this for a long time, although i probably won’t be in DC until next summer, at the earliest. Once i work out exactly when, i’ll make sure to reserve my tickets well in advance.

A friend of mine had a fellowship at the Smithsonian this summer, and she got to go through with the staff last week.

What did she say about it?

No real details yet. I haven’t spoken to her, as she’s only just arrived back in California, but if her Facebook posting is any indication, she thought it was great.

I’m stoked. I’m going to try to see it before the end of the year.

I am looking forward to visiting next time I am in DC. However, if our experience with the Museum of the American Indian is any guide, it takes a couple of years to really get the museum set up for visitors. When we first went to the American Indian museum, my wife and I were surprised at how empty it was. There were people visiting, but the exhibits and explanations were all very brief and in some cases nonexistent. When we went again this year, it was exhausting there was so much to see and do. The exhibits were literally hard work. I greatly enjoyed the canoes-not only could you get close to each one, but you could sit down and admire the workmanship-and rest for a bit. :slight_smile:

I look forward to the newest museum, but I won’t be surprised if it takes a couple of years to really get going.

I think this will find its feet quicker than the American Indian did.

There are no more advance passes for 2016. If you’re in DC, you can try for each day’s same-day allotment.

I agree.

Their online digital collection is already very impressive. Thousands of images, and a whole bunch of other objects and artifacts.

Michelle Obama and George W. Bush attended the opening, and someone snapped this picture. I absolutely love it.

I just browsed the site for a while, but i can’t find a quick digital tour of the highlights. Can anyone point me?

Now see I dont see what is so special about this museum since according to Wikipedia, there are about 78 museums in this country (and I doubt that is all of them) already about some aspect of African American history. Included on that list is Kansas City museum of the Negro baseball leagues.

So is it really so unique?

Yes. It’s part of the Smithsonian, which is effectively the national museum. From all accounts, the breadth and depth of the museum is far greater than museums which only cover one aspect.

I haven’t been yet, but from what I’ve read and heard from those who have been, this museum is massive compared to these others, and likely has as much or more material than all of them combined (since there’s a lot of overlap). I’ve read that it’s much too big to see in a single day. Further, this is the first national public (and free!) museum for African American history. So yes, it’s unique, special, and a really big deal.

I’m with you pal. What’s the deal? Why can’t those blacks be happy with what they’ve got. Why do they need to be recognized on a national level, in the capital city no less, by the nation’s most respected historical and cultural institution? After all, it’s not like people make special trips to Washington, DC, for the museums and heritage sites and monuments or anything like that. I know that if i wanted to discover something about the incredible range of African American history in the United States, i’d probably be satisfied with a trip to Kansas City.

Hell, everything I’ve ever needed to know about the black experience in America I learned from the Negro Baseball League Museum.

They sure can run fast, can’t they?

I heard it’s because they have a extra muscle in their legs.

We’ll go eventually, after the initial hubbub dies down. We’re maybe an hour anna half away, between driving to the nearest Metro station and taking the train in, so there’s no need to plan a vacation around it.

The opening has been covered extensively on the local news, including describing the building itself. It looks like an interesting structure, but honestly, the first thing I thought is “How will they keep it clean?” I see the ornate ironwork getting clogged with leaves and other debris, not to mention the inevitable bird droppings. Yeah, I know, my brain goes weird places sometimes…

Anyway, my husband and I hope to spend some off-season afternoons wandering around all of the Smithsonian museums in the not-too-distant future, especially this new one.

I’ve only seen news reports about the museum, but offhand am not a fan of the exterior architecture.

Don’t be ridiculous. It’s their longer heel-bones.