Nations largest 4g Network?

So 4g is the new big thing now. Question is, who has the best 4g coverage. If im debating on a cell phone provider which one has the best service as far as 4g. So far im thinking sprint. Any info? Ideas?

It all depends on where you are/where you go. It doesn’t matter if Telco X services 50 million more homes with 4G than Telco Y, if one of the homes they service isn’t yours.

Some (possibly all by now) providers have some sort of interactive map on their website with realistic coverage estimates (unlike the crappy nationwide blob maps that tend to be shown in commercials or posters), so that might be a good start.

Other than that, your best bet is to find local people and ask them their experiences.

Or read Consumer Reports, which asked thousands of people, and reported the results for most large US cities.

All of the cell companies are rapidly expanding their 4g coverage, so Provider A might be the answer today, but Provider B might expand faster and have the best coverage this time next year.

Consumer Reports is a great resource, but they won’t have good survey data on 4g coverage until lots more people have lots of experience with 4g phones on 4g networks.

Also, keep in mind that 4G is a marketing term more than anything. There’s no standard as to what 4G is nor any regulatory body calling them on bs, so all the networks can call whatever they’re putting in “4G” even though one may be significantly faster than the others.

Yea thats what I wanted to know. So really I was trying to get personal opinions. Each company has its perks, sprint has the best plans. Tmobile has good customer service, verizon has great sales and At&T has the best phones im just on the fence about speed and this 4g service. I would love the surf net while on the phone and video chat would be amazing. Both would help with my current job.

I thought they just defined it recently (within last 3 months?). And as it turns out, whichever carrier has been advertising 4G the most doesn’t technically meet the new specs (if I am remembering correctly).

I feel AT&T has some good phones, but Verizon’s Android lineup is better than AT&T’s Android lineup. Bottom line - like coverage, the company with the best phone is the one with the phone you like.

I personally stick with AT&T right now because I can do voice and data at the same time. I don’t need it often on my personal device, but when I do, I appreciate it. I use it a lot on my corporate device - mainly reading e-mail while on conference calls.

I haven’t bothered checking into the various 4g-ish options, and how they handle voice and data together.

-D/a

But for the talk/data/messaging (all I need) you are paying well over 100 yes? At&t is pricey but then again I guess quality does cost.

The ITU defined what would be able to be called “IMT-Advanced.” Prior to this definition, pretty much everyone just figured that IMT-Advanced=4G. But then they said that WiMax (Sprint) and LTE (Verizon) won’t meet the IMT-Advanced definition, but Sprint had already been advertising their network as 4G.

So then T-Mobile looked at the HSPA+ network they were deploying–HSPA is 3G, HSPA+ is, as the name suggests, just an upgrade and not a new technology. But HSPA+ is as fast, if not faster, than the so-called 4G networks that Sprint and Verizon were deploying.

So T-Mobile essentially said “screw it,” and figured if Sprint can advertise their network as 4G without any technical definition to back them up, then they’re going to advertise their similar-speed network as 4G as well. And then the ITU weighed in further stating specifically that 4G has no formal definition, but it’s OK to use it for any technology that shows a jump in performance from 3G networks.

So everyone has 4G, and nobody has 4G.

Question. How come tmobile never compares to sprint in like ads a tv? I notice they always attack at&t never the other carriers. Would be false advertisment if they did?

Because they might not come out best in such a comparison. It’s standard to compare to AT&T, since they have the worst service – easy to look good against them.

[moderating]
And the forum for that is IMHO, not GQ, so I’ve moved the thread.
[/moderating]

Well, I get a corporate discount…and I’m on a family plan with my sister. The two of us together cost something less than $200, so I’m certainly not well over $100 for mine.

In any case…yes, I am paying more than other carriers, because my carrier of choice has certain features I want.

-D/a

False advertisement how? As I mentioned, T-Mobile’s use of the term 4G is just as valid at this point as Sprint’s.

I’m a network guy, not a marketing guy, so I really have no insider insight into why they do the things they do. But here are some observations.

1. Until very recently, T-Mobile didn’t really do much in the way of attack ads, it was all trying to get on Charles Barkey’s Fave 5 or whatever. It’s not like we’re looking at a long history.

2. Pretty much all of the ones they’re running now that are “attack” ads are the ones involving the iPhone, playing off of the old Apple Mac vs PC ads. Sprint doesn’t have the iPhone, so no attacks there. Verizon just got it, and they’re now showing up in new T-Mobile ads.

3. Based on the public numbers I had been seeing, from around the time of the Nextel merger until the 4G and Evo rollout, Sprint was in a freefall. I don’t know if the bleeding was staunched because they finally turned a real corner, or if their period of being the only carrier advertising as 4G buoyed them. If the marketing guys think that Sprint is going to start bleeding again now that their uniqueness is gone, it makes more sense to focus more on looking better than the other competition.

ObDisclaimer: Meant to make this in my first post, looks like I forgot. As I’ve mentioned on these boards before, I do work for T-Mobile, but I’m not speaking for them. I’m just a network engineer, they know better than to give me any official speaking roles :slight_smile:

I do see that the HTC EVO is rising in sales. And alot of iphone users are switching over. There is however alot of faithful iphone users who would rather pay that hefty price and stick with their iphone. Personally I think its just the brand name that sells that phone. Apple

What are your opinions on the Iphone vs the Evo. The reason I speak for tmobile is I am currently with them but signal is spotty. I do alot of traveling I lose signal ALOT. I have noticed a co-worker of mines who has an Iphone who has signal where I do not. At&T is pricey but im thinking its the quality. Now the “4g” service or whatever they want to call it. Does each company have its own 4g coverage? I know sprint and verizon both use CDMA (maybe im wrong) does that have anything to do with their coverage. Are they both neck and neck?

AFAIK, the iPhone is still a 3G device, so if the higher speeds of 4G are what you’re looking for, the iPhone is out until they come out with a new one.

The Evo was a damn sweet phone when it first came out, but it’s been a while. Unless they’ve come out with new versions (I can’t say that I follow Sprint phone development, so I don’t know), most new phones have pretty much caught up. Providers should be seeing dual-core processors and other somewhat-mind-boggling (to me, at least) stuff soon, if they don’t have it already on new phones coming out.

Every company has its own network. GSM vs CDMA really stopped being relevant after 2G networks–and even then it was mostly only relevant to the providers themselves or those power users who unlocked/jailbroke phones.

GSM phones let you surf the net while you talk on the phone. CDMA cannot do that as far as I know. May not be a big deal, but I wonder if iPhone people who switch to Verizon from AT&T know this - most likely do not know it.

Also Europe is GSM so that matters for people who travel there. (most of the world is GSM)

[quote=“Bijou_Drains, post:18, topic:568164”]

GSM phones let you surf the net while you talk on the phone. CDMA cannot do that as far as I know. May not be a big deal, but I wonder if iPhone people who switch to Verizon from AT&T know this - most likely do not know it.

Also Europe is GSM so that matters for people who travel there. (most of the world is GSM)[/QUOTE

The newer cdma 4g phones you can surf and talk. Also I hear verizon is no longer offering upgrade anymore? Now you have to buy phones at full price if yoy are upgrading. Hope thats false

[quote=“racna1305, post:19, topic:568164”]

[quote=“Bijou_Drains, post:18, topic:568164”]

Also Europe is GSM so that matters for people who travel there. (most of the world is GSM)
[/QUOTE

The newer cdma 4g phones you can surf and talk. Also I hear verizon is no longer offering upgrade anymore? Now you have to buy phones at full price if yoy are upgrading. Hope thats false[/QUOTE]

Technically, GSM doesn’t let you do text and data at the same time. UMTS does. If you have 2G only GSM, then you don’t get that feature. 3G phones that drop to 2G because of coverage don’t do it either.

-D/a