Natural Sedatives?

I work from midnight to 8:00am and have trouble getting to sleep once I get home. I am currently taking some over the counter sleeping pills that the pharmacist recommended. He warned that if you have prostrate problems or glaucoma you should not take these, which leads me to believe that they can’t be good for you. Does anyone know of any natural sedatives that I can take to help get some sleep?

You could give melatonin a try, works for one of my buddies. You can obtain it in drug stores and nutrition centers (like GNC). Experiment with the dosage, and take 1 hour before you plan to go to bed. If you have serious problems getting to sleep, you might want to try and give a psychiatrist in your area a visit. They can prescribe you something effective, but sleeping pills–most of them–are addictive. Good Luck!

If at first you don’t succeed you’re about average.

Been there, done that, my experiences:
First off, sleepers, while inducing sleep, prevent deep sleep, so while they’re ok in the short run they’re no good in the long run. I’ve used valerian root and melatonin without appreciable results, although I’ve heard people that claim good response, so YMMV. Benadryl works fine for about 4 hours, again, my experience only, and Sominex, which put me down good also left me groggy, worst of the lot IMHO. You don’t mention how long you’ve been working this shift. When I first started nights it took awhile for me to get the hang of it, but eventually I became able to sleep a full 8. Make sure that you don’t drink caffine for AT LEAST 4 hours before bed, try for longer if you need to. Make sure NO light gets into your bedroom, and work to limit noise, turn your phone down or off, stuff like that,
good luck

Try to make the room as dark as possible. Turn on a fan to block out the noises of people doing the normal daily thing. I slept best when I stayed up and slept just before work.

Pop, let me jump on the melatonin bandwagon. When I first experimented with it at the recommended dosages, it did little or nothing. Now I take three 3-mg caps (9mg total) at night and within 20-30 minutes, without fail, I am yawning and ready for bed. In my experience it will put you to sleep, but not keep you there – so if you wake up in the middle of the night, or early am, you’re up – which has NOT been my experiences with OTC sleep meds (like Unisom). I no longer take those because they make me too groggy well into the next am, and I had trouble arising in the morning. With the melatonin, though, I sleep like a baby and wake without any “hangover.” Try it! I’m a regular melatonin guy!

Chamomile tea. Don’t bother with the prepackaged stuff, just buy the fresher stuff , best bought by the lb at herb shops, or at Greek or Middle Eastern food shops.

I go with melatonin also, but one half of a tablet does the trick for me, and yet it takes some people three whole tablets. An astonishing number of people, myself included, find Benadryl useful. Just don’t take any of this stuff too close to the time you go to bed, and avoid caffeine like the plague.

This topic came (no pun indended) up about six months ago. The concensus, I believe was…vigorous masurbation. Better for the old prostate than meds.

Melatonin seems to be the general consensus. I’ll give it a try.
Thanks to all who responded.

Might try Valerian extract. Has calming properties, antidepressant effects and some uses for GI disorders. Too, hops, is soporific (cf. BEER).
As with any herbal treatment consult doctor if you have any medical issues or are on prescription medications.