Naval-oriented fantasy?

Funny, I came in here to warn the OP away from that book. Horribly stupid plot.

You’ve got a military ship full of young men and women who have the innate ability to control the weather, but you never explain to any of them why you never, ever use magic to control the weather at sea? And if you’re one of those young wizards, it never occurs to you to ask why no one else on the ship, filled with powerful, experienced naval wizards, isn’t already doing the same thing? How dumb are these people?

S.M. Stirling’s Nantucket series (online preview of Island in the Sea of Time) is more concerned with overall technological problems, but sea power and naval battles are important and featured several times in the books. Plus, the books kick ass :slight_smile: I wish I’d discovered Stirling a long time ago.

Am I the only one who thought this was about something like “Yeah I like to think I’m in the Navy and Halle Berry is the Captain. I do something bad and then she has to reprimand me …”
Well, that is not what this thread is about is it? :frowning:

Much of Peter and the Starcatchers (prequel to Peter Pan written by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson) takes place at sea.

Nope, you’re not. My first thought was a belly-button fetish thread. (I know it’s “navel”…)

A song, not a novel: “St. Brendan’s Fair Isle.”