Navy people commanding the Marines

When I read the biography of Marine Commandant Michael Hagee (who will head the Columbia inquiry), I noticed that, after graduating from the Naval Academy, his fist command was in the Marines (and the rest is history).

My question is whether it is common for Annapolis grads to take Marine commands. Do they have to take an upgrade course (:slight_smile: ) before “transferring”? Are they accepted by the enlisted men?

TheNaval Acadamy trains both Navy And Marine Officers.

From the cited site: "The Naval Academy gives young men and women the up-to-date academic and professional training needed to be effective naval and marine officers in their assignments after graduation.

Every midshipman’s academic program begins with a core curriculum that includes courses in engineering, science, mathematics, humanities and social science. This is designed to provide a broad-based education that will qualify the midshipmen for practically any career field in the Navy or Marine Corps."

Isn’t the Marine Corps a branch of the Navy?

No, not really. The Marine Corp and the Navy report to the same boss, the Department of the Navy. To say the MC is a branch of the Navy isn’t accurate. They are separate services who obviously work very close to one another and have an intertwined history.

I work as a civilian on a Marine base. My paychecks come from the Dept. of the Navy.

Someone once said the Marines are the Navies infantry.

Sorry, as a Canuck, I didn’t understand the relationship.

Thanks.

The Marine Corps is under the Secretary of the Navy but the Commandant of the Marine Corps is a member of the Joint Chiefs of Staff separate from the Chief of Naval Operations. Marine Corps officers are trained at the US Naval Accademy.

Karl, General Hagee was a Marine officer as of his commissioning/graduation from the Naval Academy.

The U.S. Marine Corps (USMC) is part of the Department of the Navy (DON). The U.S. Navy (USN) is also part of the Department of the Navy.

The USMC and USN are headed by the Commandant of the Marine Corps and the Chief of Naval Operations, respectively. Both are military officers and members of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

The DON is headed by the Secretary of the Navy, a politically-appointed civilian who reports to the Secretary of Defense.