NBA Season 2015 - 2016

My Pacers lost the season opener against Toronto, and Paul George got fined $10K for complaining about the officiating.

Bulls beat Cavs on opening night…so far so good, but we’ll see how they stack up in May.

Pacers now 0-2 after losing the home opener to the Grizzlies. I realize there’s 80 games left in the season, but goddammit I hope it isn’t gonna be one of THOSE years.

This is the year Bradley Beal becomes a superstar. Coach Wittless has finally seen the light and is letting them shoot 3s. End of this year, Beal’s a top 20 player in this league.

That OKC-Orlando game last night was amazing.

Pacers got absolutely crushed by the Jazz yesterday. DAMN it guys, show me something!

Pacers have a healthy Paul George and George Hill, but lost West and Hibbert. Not sure much was expected from them.

The Pistons are 3-0, which means they are 9% of the way towards meeting the O/U posted in the OP.

I watched parts of all three games, and I like what I see. I don’t remember Marcus Morris being as good for the Suns as he has been in three games for the Pistons.

This is the first time I’ve had cable in a few years, so I haven’t really watched this team through this recent rough patch. I’m astonished at how young they all look! Is Reggie Jackson, like, 19 years old?

Brian Windhorst, whom I do not particularly care for, says the Bulls are getting ready to depart with Derrick Rose.

Of course, that departure might not come until his contract is up in 2017. Given what we know about Rose at this point, do we really expect anyone to break the bank for him? I sure don’t want him on my team.

If I recall correctly, every Hall-of-Fame-eligible player who’s won the MVP award is in the Hall of Fame. You think Derrick Rose will be the exception?

Good question on the Hall of Fame. I honestly don’t know much about the NBA Hall of Fame, who’s in that’s comparable to Rose. Interesting fact about every MVP being in, though. I suspect the award kind of rotated between Russell, Wilt, Kareem, then Bird, Magic, Jordan with some others sprinkled in there.

The NBA Hall of Fame is definitely more willing to induct a player on the basis of a short but high peak than the Halls for other major sports; David Thompson is in based almost entirely on his first three seasons, one of which was in the ABA. But Derrick Rose was really a top-notch player for only about a season and a half: his MVP season and the half season that followed (prior to his injury). You could definitely make the argument that Rose would be the least accomplished Hall of Famer of all time (a few players who had lesser NBA careers are in there - Ralph Sampson, Drazen Petrovic, Arvydas Sabonis - but they are generally in because of their collegiate or international careers).

I don’t think he’ll get in. Take away the MVP and his case is no better than Brandon Roy’s.

I know nobody on this board really cares about the NBA (their loss), but what the Warriors are doing is truly incredible. For the defending champs to come out and win their first 22-and-counting games of the following season is really remarkable. The other teams are selling out their arenas and the fans are bringing a playoff atmosphere to every game, but the Ws are winning regardless. It’s really quite something.

Really they’ve got a chance to have the greatest season in American professional sports history. Insane.

Not only are they winning, but they’re just blowing teams off the court. I’ve never seen such a dominant team. I usually don’t watch the NBA until the NFL season is winding down, but the Warriors are must watch TV for me.

The only conceivable way a player could exceed what Steph Curry is doing right now is if that player trained himself to reliably hit 3s from 30 feet. He’s averaging 5 for 11 from 3 right now. That’s just absurd.

The Warriors’ effective field goal percentage as a team so far this year would be the 7th best all-time for an individual player’s career. Their true shooting percentage would be 19th all-time.

So in other words, even when you include the shots taken by their least effective players, the average shot the Warriors take this season is worth more points than the average shot Kevin Durant or Steve Nash have taken in their careers. A hypothetical team of 12 Durant-analogs would not shoot the ball more efficiently.

What the Warriors are doing is amazing, yes. That said, they’ve probably had the easiest schedule to date. They have not played the Spurs, Thunder, Mavs, Heat or Cavs yet and they get the Pacers tomorrow, which actually might be a good game. They just played Brooklyn for the 2nd time and have whipped all the bottom dwellers in the West. Still amazing, but just sayin’…

Have to feel a bit bad for the Spurs, who are off to what under normal circumstances would be considered an extremely good start.

Something tells me Pop doesn’t mind the attention directed elsewhere.