Need Advice for Stress Free, Fun Business Travel

In my line of work (I do indeed write for a living), I rarely get to travel for business. So when I do, it’s usually fun and novel, rather than the horrid “schlepping across the country” type.

And now it looks like I’m going to get to do a thing where I’m on a client site in another city for the work week, then flown home every weekend.

What exciting location am I jetting off to, you ask? Seattle? Honolulu? San Fran? NYC? New Orleans? The nightlife! The culture! The beautiful new vistas to be explored!

Or maybe I’ll just go to Wilmington, Ohio. I hear they have a shoe store AND a dentist.

As many of you know, I was raised about 20 miles east of the arsehole of nowhere. So I don’t have a problem working in a small town with little opportunity for “entertainment.” But I’m a complete novice when it comes to business travelling and I know some of you must have some great tips for making it smooth and stress free. I figure it will be fun for the first couple of months of the 4-6 month contract, and then the novelty will wear off and I’ll be nutso to get back to normal.

So…does anyone have any tips regarding these issues:

1. Any travel gizmos that are must-haves that will make me more comfortable and make my life easier?

2. Does any one know any way to make TERRIBLY short term travel arrangements seem less “frantic?” They called me yesterday and told me they wanted me there on Monday!

3. Hotel entertainment possibilities? There is an exercise room and a pool where I’m staying, but I’m also going to have a lot of free time. I knit and read…not sure how much time I’m going to want to spend sitting in a hotel room alone doing those things though.

4. Does anyone know anything about Wilmington, Ohio?

5. What are the things I’m likely to forget to take care of at home that will KILL me in the middle of the week? I’m not a scatterbrain and I’m trying to cover all these things, but did I mention my notice is REALLY SHORT!!

Woo hoo! All the towells I want and clean sheets every day! Can’t beat that with a stick.

L

Oh! And how the heck am I going to eat a healthy diet without a refrigerator and access only to restaurant food? Anyone dealt with this before? I really don’t want to let my butt expand to fit the needs of the situation, if you know what I mean.

Sounds like you need a laptop so you can stay connected to SDMB, and also make your travel arrangements, Google™ for health food stores, check for local movies, and do pretty near every other needed task, other than feeding the ferrets at home. For that, you need a trusted friend, neighbor, or a Ferret-O-Matic pet feeder (I saw one on an infomercial last week).