Need english phrase translated into latin, please

“go stick your head in a pig”

Ideally, it’ll be a grammatically proper version.

Don’t need answer real fast, but today would be nice.

thanks,

How about:

COMMVNIS ET GVSTARI

Of course you’ll have to chop off the bottom half, I don’t know how to do that in vbcode.

Abi, in suem capitem tuum insere! (Go away, into a pig head your insert!)

Expecting that none of your patients understand Latin?

:smiley:

Support staff, actually. :wink:

Hey, I’m not your plastic pal who’s fun to be with!

To be clear, are you looking for a translation of that specific idiom, or an equivalent idiom from Latin?

I’m looking for a phrase which gives the same meaning in Latin. So equivalent idiom would do. If literally it runs something like “depart from me and go to where you may insert your cranium into a porcine mammal” that’s ok

I think the verb form you want is “inserito”, the second person, singular, future active, imperative of “insero” (insert). Then you can dispense with the “go” element of your sentence.

Head is “capitis”, right? (always?)

And Latin for pig is Sus, but for a pig, I think porcus is correct.

So, following sentence order of subject, object, verb we end up with “Porcus capitis inserito”

Except I seem to remember that swine is an irregular noun and Googling confirms that. Sus, in the dative case (because the pig is having something done to it) is Sui (sing.)

So I’m going to go with “Sui capitis inserito” as the correct phrasing.

This is based on one semester of Latin I took as a high school freshman in 1986, so forgive any errors

Per the Google Translate page:

How about “SOOOOEEEY capitis inserito?”

“Put your head in a pig” would be translated as:

Poni tuum caput in porco.

That’s if you’re addressing ONE person. If you’re saying this to more than one person, it would be:

Ponite vestra capita in porco. (Put your heads in a pig.)

Nice translation. Perhaps, though, the ‘Go’ is not so much ‘go away’ as much as a command to act – in the manner of a parent who tells a kid ‘Go and do the dishes now’ when the kid is already in the kitchen. Then we’re not talking about ‘go’ meaning move anywhere but rather as a sort of encouragement or call to action. 'Get going and do it now!, for example, can be used without any idea of literal movement from one location to another. In such cases, a Roman would use a form of ago, as is often seen with imperatives:

Age, in suem capitem tuum insere!

Remember, Porcus is the Latin word for pig, but “in a pig” requires the ablative case, so you’d say “in porco,” not “in porcus.”

And caput is a neuter word, which means the accusative is the same as the nominative.

The head is moving into the pig so in + the accusative is required:

Poni tuum caput in porcum.

It can’t be a coincidence, can it?

Google translate is awful.

“Vade adherebit caput in porcus”

adherebit is 3rd person singular future active indicative, not a command at all.

Why poni over inserito?

Don’t we want it as a future active, imperative? Would that be ponito?

Wiktionary seems to agree with that:

pōnitō

second-person singular future active imperative of pōnō
    "thou shalt place, thou shalt put, thou shalt lay"

"

Not completely terrible for so long ago!