Need job advice!

I know, I know - I haven’t even started my new job, but already I’m having issues. Here we go:

I have accepted a job offer for a lot of money. The job is about 35-40 minutes away.

I just got a request for an interview for a job offer that will probably be ever so slightly less money, but will be virtually right across the street. The interview will be conducted by someone I’ve worked with before and clicked really well with. I’m pretty sure I’ll get the job.

But, I’ve already accepted an offer.

I think I know the answer to this, but I have to ask anyway, as I’m sure you can understand why this is a dilemma.

Do I do the interview, knowing that I already have a job and see what happens, potentially rescinding my acceptance of the other job offer? Or do I politely inform my former co-worker that I now have a job and decline any interviews and subsequent offers?

One of the reasons I left my previous job was because it was so far away from home. Which was why making the decision to accept this one was so very hard, since it was further. But the money was so good. Still, this one is only 10 minutes from home and less than 2 minutes from my son’s daycare and will probably only offer $5,000 less to start, but might have a better benefits structure. Damn and double damn!

My first thought is that I’m obligated to continue with my current path, working at the company far, far away because I have already accepted. But now I don’t wanna. I suspect I’m acting like a git, but I would love your opinions nonetheless, please! What would you do???

You’re not obligated. I don’t know whether you’re in an at-will state, I don’t know whether you have a written contract, but no: you do not have the obligation to work for your not-yet current employer until they decide they don’t want you to work there any more. They’re your employer, not your owner.

The trial period works both ways. And really, if you accepted this work even though it was father than the previous one that you left because it was too far… sounds like you took this one as a “last resort,” not because you really, really, really want it.

I think I love you.

I thought about it for a while and what I think I’ll do is go in for the interview, let them know that I’ve gotten an offer and ask them what their timeline is for deciding. If they tell me they need more time, I’ll go ahead with my current plans, no hard feelings; if they are deciding sooner, even better. (And ideal if they want me.)

I’m assuming it’s not kosher to be at a job a week or two and just leave if you get a better offer. Or at least, it makes you look really, really bad.

This is a great plan. :cool: Might as well keep your options open.

Backing out of your acceptance won’t be appreciated but if you really, really think it’s the right thing to do, do it. It’s better to break off the engagement than to get a divorce later, or live with regret.

And it does make you look bad to leave a job after only a couple of weeks, although people do it. You just have to decide if it’s worth the burned bridge.

I am curious. In your post you talked about the commute, the pay, the benefits, and one potential interviewer. But you never talked about whether it’s actually a good job, career path, or any other factors. Everybody has their own criteria, but just to lend some perspective, I am in the DC area and a 35-40-minute commute is probably about average for here; some people do an hour or more each way, and in a mode that I will never understand people commute up to two hours from neighboring states. That’s not a good thing, but it is what it is. All other things being equal, I would trade in a heartbeat for a job 5 minutes from my house, but all other things are never equal.

What are all the other things for you? What about job responsibilities? Are you on a professional career track of some sort? Potential for advancement? Are you a manager, or want to be one? How big are these two companies? These are rhetorical questions, just something to think about.

BTW is “virtually across the street” a 10-minute drive there? :confused:

Good questions, CookingWithGas. And definitely things I should think about.

I’m uncertain about the comparison of opportunity for advancement. My guess is that the job further away would probably offer more opportunity because it’s a faster-growing company; however, I need to confirm that on Monday.

As for job responsibilities and whether or not I would be manager, I would be a management type in either job, though have the potential to manage probably more people at the further-away job than at the closer job. Plus, I’ll be visible to the CEO.

So I don’t think all things are necessarily equal, but I’d like to talk to them to find out.

Still, I’m not a hugely career-driven person. It would be great to advance and advance quickly, but I might consider it an adequate tradeoff not to advance as quickly if I could be as close as the other job is. For reference, this job is under 10 minutes (probably 7-8) from my house and literally across the street from my son’s daycare. I could walk there easily - walk down a busy street to the next light, cross and I’m standing in the daycare parking lot. Less than a quarter mile.

Nava is quite right. Assuming an at-will state and no particular employment contract, you have no obligation to the company who’s offer you accepted, other than the standard notice, courtesy, etc.

And it may “look bad” in one sense to leave a job after a week, but you don’t have to put it on your resume. And it may not be such a burned bridge. People may well be sympathetic to the fact that you got a “much better offer.” (You don’t have to give them details of what makes the other offer so much better.)

CookingWithGas makes some good points about evaluating other factors with regard to job desirability. It’s worth thinking about, but from the tone of your post, I get the sense that the other job has a lot of positive factors other than location.

As far as the difference in pay–the cost in gas for the longer commute will wipe out a good part of the difference, not to mention wear and tear on your car. Better benefits could account for the rest of the difference. The value of your time is incalculable, as is the reduction in stress that comes from a shorter commute. And of course, opportunities for advancement are very important.

Perhaps you could use the fact that you have another offer to negotiate a higher salary.