Need Video Game Advice. No Bullshit. No Swearing and Shit. Word.

Set the Wayback Machine, Sherman, you stupid-talkin’-to-a dog-imbicile, we need to catch up a bit to today’s gaming platforms.

The last time I played online was “Delta Force”(1999), and it rocked 'cuz I’d shoot my team and text “sorry”.

Today, I saw a uTube of “Battelfield 3 Episode 1” and decided to get a new video game system.

I am planning on a LED TV, and a new system of either XBox, or PS3.

Dude at work said xb was pretty much subscription, but PS3 had free servers for online play.

I am ready to spawn and shoot members of my own team and text “Hey, sorry about that shit, dude. I thought that was the reload button and shit.”

Elaborate on the main advantages of exsisting gaming platforms, please.

Thanks
KP

Well, online play for PS3 is generally free, but now they have some kind of pay network. I think that’s to subscribe and get downloadable games/demos/stuff, but suspect that future games may eventually require a subscription.

And yeah, XBox requires the subscription for online play.

Now both the XBox and PS3 have motion-control systems (like the Wii has) as add-on hardware. Generally the Kinetix (XBox) has been getting better reviews than Move (PS3) especially since you don’t have to hold a controller (it uses a camera to record movement), but I’ve heard complaints that the XBox system sometimes doesn’t do the best job of it.

Anyway, I’d check Wikipedia for “PS3 exclusive games” and “XBox exclusive games” and see if there’s anything that strikes you as something you can’t live without. Generally this isn’t something you need to be concerned with as most games seem to be released for both.

Also, got any friends you’d like to game with? You can’t “cross the streams” and play online with XBox vs PS3; has to be the same system.

PS3 has a Blu-Ray DVD player, but both will stream movies from Netflix if you already have a subscription.

Maybe the PS4 far in the future, but not the PS3 - Sony’s pretty much said absolutely not. PS+ is free downloads, games, early access to some content and other stuff. Seems to actually be a pretty good deal.

You also need to pay for X-Box Live to get Netflix, you don’t for the PS3.

Super - it really comes down to just a few things:

1. What system do your friends have? You can’t play PS3 players from a 360 and vice-versa.
  2. What exclusives can you not live without?

Well, you did say to opine on “existing gaming platforms” So I’ll also add that the PC is a great gaming platform. Probably the best in terms of graphics performance and flexibility.

It’s also the only one where you are likely to text anything to anyone :slight_smile: Though to be honest on any platform you are more likely to actually say it through VOIP than to type it.

Personally, out of the consoles, I would favor the PS3 over the xbox 360. The exclusives on that platform are more numerous, and better IMHO. Plus you get Blu-ray, free online multi-player, a cheaper Hard drive upgrade path (you can use a PC hard drive rather than pay 10x as much for an Xbox one), and the Move which I like better than Kinect if you’re into motion controls.

And of course, on the PC side you’ve got a much more active and varied multi-player community, better graphics - really, it’s a shame to have a nice 1080p TV, only to hook it up to a console that won’t run most popular games at even 720p, but rather sub-HD resolutions, and will also run those same games at often less than 30 frames per second. There’s nothing stopping you from hooking up a nice gaming PC to your TV and play your games at full 1080p 60 FPS glory, and do so from your couch with a gamepad… well the one thing that might stop you is you might get your butt kicked in multi-player if you don’t use a mouse + keyboard but they got wireless ones of those, and there’s still single-player :slight_smile:

Price wise, the PS3 will run you about $300. The PC about twice as much unless you’ve got a decent PC now, in which case all you might need is a $150 video card.

So yeah, PS3 for the exclusives, the blu-ray and free multi-player and free online features (such as netflix - though you would still need a Netflix subscription of course) Or PC if you want a truly modern gaming experience.

Skip the Xbox.

Have you ever considered playing 2v2 in Starcraft2? I can see you having a blast. Your unique style would fit right in on battlenet.

Why am I less than surprised
and shit.

Dude, Delta Force was tha fuckin’ bomb (hey, someone had to do drop an f-bomb - it’s a Super K thread!).

But I digress - I’ve got a PS3 and I love it. Then again, most of the games I’ve enjoyed haven’t been exclusives - GTA IV (and the DLC) Assassin’s Creed (2 and Brotherhood), and Red Dead Redemption. With the one exception of the gloriousness that is PAIN - you fling a character from a slingshot, and try to blow up mimes and monkeys and shit. It would be right up your alley, SK.

Games aside, I like the Blu-Ray player, it can stream a decent amount of media, and most importantly for me, it’s got the same old-school controller style that I’ve been rocking since the PS1. I for one can’t stand the XBox controllers.

If you can only afford one, get a PS3.

I’ve owned a PS3 for a few years and an XBox 360 for a few months, and I can say without the slightest reservation that the PS3 is better. For everything. It has better graphics, it’s faster loading, it’s quieter, the exclusives are more forgiving (memo to the twits who released Popcap Arcade; there’s a REASON always having to start over at the beginning fell out of favor), there are more non-gaming options, and of course there’s Blu-Ray capability, which, combined with a hi-def monitor (which you absolutely should have!), is truly amazing. Plus, although I’ve thankfully never had to find out firsthand, it’s far less likely to suffer a total catastrophic breakdown. (The later 360s are better about this, but you still don’t ever want to leave one running too long, especially with how hard they work.)

About the only reason you should get a 360 (other than your online buddies have them) is if there are certain exclusives that you gotta have. (It was Dead or Alive Xtreme 2 and Deathsmiles, of all things, that finally convinced me.) Its success has a lot more to do with the endless free ride Microsoft gets with the press and their customers than the quality of anything they’ve ever produced. I mean, it’s good, but it’s not a whole lot better than a PS2, and honestly, you’d be hard pressed to find someone in Hawaii who’s a big fan of it.

Don’t worry about all the negative press Sony has gotten, or all the stories about pathetic sales figures and features that were thrown in for no reason. I don’t think a lot of people in 2006, even experts within the industry, ever anticipated just how big downloadable content, Blu-ray, networking, or nongaming features (especially movies) would ever become. The point is, they intended this system to be an improvement over the PS2. Power and versatility cost money. Everyone knows this. Which translates to lesser sales, at least in the short run. No surprise here either. Nobody had any chance of competing against Nintendo on the fun-for-the-whole-extended-family front. It’s ridiculous to judge them negatively for coming in last in a “war” they never had any interest in fighting in the first place. My point is, if you don’t see any benefit in a state-of-the-art video format or downloadable content now, there’s a chance you will somewhere down the line, and you’ll be glad to have been so farsighted.

As for the Wii*, I’ll just do a quick summary:
Reasons to get a Wii

• You’re a big fan of light gun games.
  • You’re a big fan of dance games.
  • You’re a big fan of oldschool arcade analog controls.
  • You use multiplayer/party options a lot.
  • You want something that can keep the kids entertained for a long time.
  • You’re trying to get into shape.
  • You prefer entertainment that allows you to stay active.

Not reasons to get a Wii

• It’s #1 in sales.
  • The NES is the only console you know anything about.
  • Seriously, it’s completely demolishing the XBox 360 and PS3 in sales!
  • It’s Nintendo! Nintendo is always the best, right?
  • SALES! SALES! SALES! SALES! SALES!
  • It was a gift, okay? I don’t like Punch-Out that much. :slight_smile:

You left out a big one: You really like first-party Nintendo games. Mario Galaxy 1&2, Zelda Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 3, Mario Kart, etc etc. They’re all fantastic fun.

Q. F. M. F. T.

And shit.

I’m partial to the Xbox. I like their games more and I know a ton of people that have it and are playing most every night on it. Either console has a group of Dopers playing on it. Here’s the link for the Xboxone, for example.

What ind of games do you like? I’ve heard people say that the PlayStation is for racing games and the Xbox is for FPS.