Neighbor is trying to confront me about complaint i made

the reason i went straight to the landlord is because i lived in a property before and when i knocked on the persons door to address noise i was given abuse and the woman in question told the landlord that i was harrassing her and they told me not to knock on the door again. She then started drilling and walking around in high heels at 5am.

i actually left this property because of her, i then lived somewhere else that i had to leave as they were knocking it down now im here.
I have been with the same housing association in all these circumstances.

The manager actually phoned me today and said she spoke to the man who said that he is sorry and wanted to apologize and work it out and that he has been here 10 years with no complaints.

tbh i may be paranoid but i think he is just talking rubbish to the manager and wanted an argument.
Based on the way he was banging down my door and the fact he brought up how he has been here 10yrs ect
In actual fact he told me himself this flat has been vacant for years and the last woman who lived here was a deaf old woman who died so obviously there wouldnt be any complaints.

He will probably knock on my door when he gets back today im going to answer it but record it.

i dont think im being picky either, when he walks i can hear him coming cause my windows shake and so does my chandlier its like a scene from godzilla

From the tone of your posts, it seems like you are a confrontational person who will have issues with whoever is their neighbour. I would encourage you to seek a detached home when you are able. Clearly, having people around just irritates you.

preesh, how do u get from my post that im confrontational?
are you an inconsiderate upstairs neighbor or something?

and the second flat i lived in was an estate with over 100 people living with me and i had issues with no one for 3years, as i said i had to leave there so did everyone as they were knocking the building down.
i would never knock on someones door more than 3 knocks especially someone i dont know. its rude and if i was a male i guarantee who wouldnt knock on my door like that.
I have builders here anyway and im expecting him to be back soon, they are two males so we will see if he is brave enough to knock on my door when people are here
i doubt it.

I wouldn’t tell him to fuck off, nor would I suck up to him by baking a cake or turning on the tears or whatever. Either one can make it worse, and sucking up just sells out your dignity. Nor would I open the door to him. But I would let him state his case, loudly and clearly from the hallway, through your closed door, so that everybody else can hear where he’s coming from.

If there are no threats it would be pointless to go to the cops. What can you say to them? “I’m afraid of this guy.” Has he threatened you? “Well no, but, uh…”. Next time he pounds on your door ask him what’s up. Let him make his case, or incriminate himself, however it goes.

If it’s a matter for the cops, I like the idea of going to them in person. On the phone, you’re just a voice, much more forgettable than a visible, visibly upset person.

1. I’ll say that, for me personally, my suggestion to discuss her concerns with the police was influenced by the fact that in the UK, she might get a better response than if she took this to the US police.

2. A pregnant woman, living alone, has different, and yet, still perfectly normal, concerns about personally confronting someone. She doesn’t have anything to apologize for. It would be better if she had more friends and family around so that she doesn’t look so alone.

I agree that noise complaints are a borderline thing, but asking the landlord to speak to the neighbor is a reasonable approach.

Here’s another:

You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone…Al Capone

I don’t know what the OP should do know, but I think she should have talked to her neighbour first before complaining to the landlord. That’s not a good way to establish good relationships or create mutual understanding between people who are stuck lliving besides each other.

On top of it, she might have suffered a level 1 inconvenience, described it to the landlord as level 2 to make sure he would act, which the landlord understood as being level 3 and mentioned as being level 4 to the other tenant so that he would stop behaving this way. So, “he’s walking during the day with his shoes on and it inconveniences me” might have become “I’m told you’re banging loudly on the floor all the time in the middle of the night”.

You guys seem to have missed the fact that she’s felt threatened by the neighbor in the past. I don’t know what the answer is, but I wouldn’t want to talk to him in person, either.

How about this?
“I was thinking of calling the police if he does it again, should i?
or should i just confront him and tell him to fuck off?”

Or this?
“… the woman in question told the landlord that i was harrassing her and they told me not to knock on the door again.”

I also love how you question whether you are confrontational and then THE VERY NEXT SENTENCE is confrontational.

preesh i think you are over sensitive.
I knocked on the womans door once and she did all of that.
you dont even know the situation with that either.

and i was asking advice on police or what to do, you seem like you are an inconsiderate neighbor because you are the only one on this thread getting emotional.
you are not the only person to exist on this planet, there are otjers around you.

i have someone downstairs i laid 10mm thick underlay and carpet whilst i was unemployed and i do not wear shoes. Its called being considerate.

and he didnt knock on my door when the builders were here either, no surprise there.

I used to have upstairs neighbors who bounced a ball and drove me crazy. Then I lived in a house by myself and started hearing that same ball bouncing noise. It turns out there was a vent in the attic flapping in the wind. I wonder how many people are accusing their upstairs neighbors of bouncing balls and trying to drive him crazy when in reality it’s a vent or a door that’s just getting blown by the breeze?

Trust me, I’m not emotional over this. I’m just responding to what you wrote with my opinion. Feel free to disregard it, you won’t hurt my feelings.

You seem to have a thing about people wearing shoes in their own homes.

Perhaps you should only rent a flat on the uppermost floor?

preesh, i do not need to trust you, i do not care about you.

anocnia
well i think if someone is below you wearing shoes in your flat is inconsiderate.
as a downstairs neighbor me installing a ceiling fan or speakers to the ceiling will also be inconsiderate.

i cannot move, if i could i would. I live in a council flat they wont just move me like that.

channing, it only happens when he is home and it sounds like he is bouncing or playing with marbles.

i have a meeting with the management soon so hopefully i will get it sorted then.
he has seemed to quiet down a little bit so my complaint worked.

So ceiling fans are verboten, too? That’s interesting…

Good thing you are pregnant. In a few months loud footsteps and a bouncing ball will be the least of your worries. And enjoy receiving complaint letters from your landlord and housing authority when your screaming baby keeps your upstairs neighbor up all night.

These are unreasonable expectations in apartment living. I live in the middle floor of a triple-decker and pretty much always wear shoes, and we installed two ceiling fans. No way I’ve giving up either for folks living above or below. I don’t necessarily stomp around but I also don’t tippy-toe around the house.

IMO, you have to suck up a certain amount of noise in an apartment.

I don’t see anything in the neighbor’s behavior that comes close to meriting police attention. However alone and pregnant a woman may be, she can’t demand that her neighbor not use his apartment in the usual sorts of ways.

OP, you do indeed sound confrontational, as well as unrealistic about what one can expect from one’s neighbors in an apartment building. God forbid you should ever life below a toddler. Now they walk loudly, shoes or no shoes.