Neighborhood etiquette (advice too, if you have it)

I agree with everything being said here - however, having been in the same situation myself more than once (don’t people suck sometimes and what’s with that any way? Is it a territorial issue? Is the world just turning evil) life there will become unbearable, you won’t want to use your deck if they are outside to, go tto the mailbox etc. I hope this doesn’t happen to you, it just seems to me that things just to keep deteriating over time until someone gives in and moves. GOOD LUCK TO YOU, HANG IN THERE!!!

I am a firm believer in fences. I would have built one anyway. In fact I did build one at my house. But that’s just me.

Nevertheless, I cannot imagine why neighbors would consider it rude to build a fence at your own house. You want privacy then have at it. What is it their business if they can’t see what you are doing in your own yard? And if they do think its their business, then they are rude pricks who should be kept out with a fence.

Not sure that the hedges would keep the animals or the kids out in this case though. If they are that callous, then the kids will cut through them anyway. The guy might let the dogs over anyway.

Do what your name says, build a ‘stone wall’.

Thanks all… truly.

The natural wall is going up. It’s time.

The last straw (if there needed to be one) is that dog-poo neighbor just mowed four feet into my back yard. Apparently, he’s having trouble with the new boundaries. Now this isn’t the first time he’s done this (he usually does it when he has a party - I guess to show his guests that his domain is bigger than it actually is :rolleyes: Whatever.

But he did it this morning. I mowed yesterday afternoon. I’m done. Bring on the neighborhood anger and scorn. I’m doing what I can do under the laws of my township.

Someone mentioned a fence. Unfortunately, a fence comes with rules. Nothing for privacy (split rail seems to be the only option) and it now must be 3 feet back from the property line. I’m not sure of the logic of this one, but it changed right about when we moved in. Unfortunately, dog-poo neighbor has a corner of his fence 4 inches from my property line. Perfectly fine with the laws of the time. But now my natural fence is going to close off his access to the strip of property he likes to cut. That’s going to piss him off majorly. (I have to admit, I’m looking forward to it). I’m also curious as to his retaliatory strike. But I have permission to put a silt fence up, which will keep him (and his dog) from getting on my land. Sweet. He’ll be able to access it from behind, but he won’t be wearing a path anymore. And his dog won’t be able to get over the fence. Since the silt fence is temporary, I can leave it there until someone decides I have to take it down. That will have to come from the township.

His fence doesn’t follow the property line. So, he is 4 inches away from my property line at the front edge of the fence, but he built it to slowly pull away from my property line (I assume because he didn’t want to take a tree down). At the end of the fence, he’s about 4 feet away from the line. So he does own a small, pie shaped wedge of grass that he mows outside of his fence. He just mows my yard too. I personally wouldn’t care if he mowed my entire yard, but he only does it when he has guests over, and that seems to give rise to the kids/dogs accessing my yard. It’s mowed, it must be his! (I’m not sure kids think this stuff through, so I’ve never yelled at them or told them to get out of my yard. Just because the parents are rude isn’t their fault.)

The other big bonus with the fence? He now can’t move it any closer than 3 feet to my property line. And he won’t be getting any variance from me. Too bad. You’ve been a jerk since we’ve been here, and it didn’t have to be this way. But you made it uncomforable from day one with your dog and everything else. So you lose. Maybe the next neighbor will be better for you. But until then, I’m blocking you out with greenery.

The neighbor that doesn’t think it’s a big deal is the one whose dog is pooing in my yard. Of course he doesn’t. He’s not picking it up! I’m not sure what the old guy across the street has in the fight, except that he was one of the first people in the neighborhood. So maybe he feels like he is the President of Del Boca Vista.

I think I like SmartAleq’s ideas best. He also makes me realize that my neighbors could be worse.

As far as “eliminating” the dog, I’ve thought of that. But I don’t think that’s fair to the kids. It’s their pet. That wouldn’t be fair. I’m not losing livestock. Just my patience and temper.

I have no video evidence of the act. Just visual. I think the cops have better things to do than chase down stuff like this. But, if it ever gets to that, I’m sure the neighborhood will get excited.

If you get tired of flinging the poop over into your neighbors yard, try wrapping nicely and mailing it.

Oh, and skip the return address.

Unless that’s illegal, in which case don’t do it. But it still would be fun imagining someone there opening the mail that day…

stonewall, did you used to be named The Blonde Bomber?

The OP sounds very similar to this thread. Especially, scroll down to #14.

Ooooh, yeah, if that’s the case, better e-mail the admins and explain-you’re not allowed to sign up with another guest account.

Yeah, this post nailed it for me.

stonewall, you are allowed one, and only one account. I’m going to ban you. Email TubaDiva if you wish to work something out.