Neighbors taking your parking space

I don’t know about public streets but I absolutely hate my parking spot neighbour. We all have assigned spots yet this shit head figures as long as I’m close to my spot I’m fine! The fuckers who take care of parking tell me to park in his spot…which is fine but not when it happens for 2 weeks in a row. I rather have my spot since I can see it from my place than his.

Last time I complained they gave me the excuse of “oh, he’s old”. WTF? If you’re too fucking old to actually remember the parking spot you need to stop in, the one he’s had for 3 years, then he needs to loose his license.

I try not to get mad at his parking but it’s hard sometimes. I see his car partially blocking 3 parking spots makes me shake my head. I wonder if a tow truck will tow for very poor parking jobs.

I have my own private driveway. So far so good, but what pisses me off is when I come home and find my neighbor’s car sitting in my driveway! My driveway is NOT a public parking spot! They have 5 cars and need the extra space, fine just get out of my fucking driveway! Then there’s a guy up the street that parks his extra car in front of my house. I don’t mind that but I do mind that the dick across the street thinks it’s my car so he leaves nasty messages in my mailbox to move my fucking car. See, he wants to park there so of course feels he has a right to insult me because there’s already a car there. It’s a battlezone on my street to find parking spaces, because even though the driveways are long enough to fit two cars comfortably, my neighbors HAVE to park one on the street. Two weeks ago a little boy was hit while riding his bike on the sidewalk because two neighbors were racing for a parking spot. The driver ran up over the curb and hit this boy. What did the driver do? Bitched because the boy knocked off his mirror as he flew over his car and landed on another. The little boy is fine, it broke his collar bone and hurt his privates but he’s already home again and riding his bike in the backyard now.

Amen, sister! Here, we park in the street. Usually, hubby and I have plenty of space right in front of our house for both vehicles. Of course, if someone else parks there, it is a public street, so, who cares? If we’ve shoveled out a spot and someone parks in it, that’s just rude! What really burns me, though, is that we also own the lot right next to our house, and you wouldn’t believe the number of times people have parked in the lot (that we pay taxes on!). I usually leave a polite note on the windshield saying “this is a private lot. I’ve noted your license plate number. If you park here again, I will have you towed.” Once, I watched a woman park her car in the lot, and get out. I walked out of my house, and we had a nonsensical conversation that went like this:
Me: Um, excuse me, this is a private lot. You can’t park here"
Her: Oh, I know. I was friends with the woman who used to live here, that’s how I knew this lot was here"
Me: So you knew this was a private lot?
Her: Yes
Me: You can’t park here.
Her: Oh, I know, but I’ll only be a few minutes.
Me: No, you can’t park here for a few minutes. It gives everyone the idea that it’s OK to park here.
Her: I’ll be right back.

I tried to say more, but she was already walking away to her destinatio!! I had decided that if she wasn’t back in 5 minutes, I was having her towed. She was, indeed, back in 5 minutes, and left!:rolleyes:

Our neighborhood association forbids on-street parking and parking on the grass. Most driveways can accommodate 4 cars, but some can barely contain 2. We’re not allowed to park trailers or boats in view, so our utility trailer is in the garage - therefore no cars can go in there. We can have 2 visitor cars in addition to our two - good thing we don’t want to entertain.

Yet another reason I hate my neighborhood and will be glad to leave.

I assure you, if you’ve ever lived in the city of Chicago in a bad winter, you’d know it was no urban legend.

At the risk of turning this into GQ material, in the City of Tulsa, there is an ordinance that makes it illegal to park on a public street in front of a home other than you’re own for longer than 24 hours. Hardly any consolation, and difficult to enforce, but the law is there… your local community may have similar ordinances.

I live in a condo complex made up of many “coves” - little parking lots off of the street, ringed with buildings. My cove has 22 parking spaces, and there are 20 units surrounding it. I’m dumbfounded at how the condo management handles parking. When I moved in in January, they told me to park only one car in the cove, but that was basically the only rule. The one night I accidentally had both cars parked in here, someone left a note in my mailbox - which was kinda creepy, since we hadn’t told anyone which cars were ours, and we sure as hell didn’t know anyone else’s cars. But here’s the really weird thing… I changed my car a couple of times - sold one car to a relative, bought another from my dad, and then got a new car in March. In April, in the middle of the afternoon when there’s no one around and all kinds of free parking spaces, I get a large green sticker on my car informing me it’s parked illegally and it will be towed. The reason? It’s not registered (what registration?) and the tags are expired (they’re brand new tags!!) I called up my apartment manager, screaming mad, who apologized and said he’d call the office and clear it up. I called the office and told them I wanted the sticker taken off of my brand-new car. “Well, no, we don’t do that.” But you put it on in error, so take it off. “No, sorry, we can’t.” Fuck it. I took it off myself. But so much of this infighting and crap could be taken care of if they’d just mark off spaces for each apartment. I’m tempted to get some chalk and do it myself and leave a note saying “if this makes sense, call the management and tell them to get some spray paint and number stencils.”

Duluth has a similar ordinance.

At my old house, our neighbor loved to yell at me for parking in front of her house, on a public street. Never mind that there was someone else parked in front of my house, so I couldn’t park there. The really obnoxious thing was that they had off-street parking but we did not.

“Officer, I was just picking up some litter that was left on my lawn. The only things on my lawn now are my blocks.”

this past winter was the first year that it was “illegal” to save a parking spot with lawn chairs etc., in chicago.

we were wondering how this was going to be enforced. would you return to see a red ticket waving from the arm of said lawn chair? or would the police set up sting operations and hide covertly down the block waiting for the offenders to return and move the chairs, and burst out of vans with guns blazing as the offenders slid into the spot. good god you would think in a city this size there may be more pressing issues???

Well, don’t keep us in suspense. How was it enforced?

My husband and I rent our house from a church that owns the property. Across the street from us is the church’s grade school, and so the area becomes very crowded with parents picking up their kids around a certain time in the afternoon. Then there are some afterschool activities there as well, not to mention church activities, so the street parking can get crowded. We have a garage we can park in, with a short driveway leading up to it. Once my husband came home to find someone’s car parked in the driveway. He waited around for a couple minutes, but no one came out to the car, and he had no idea where in the church or school this person might be. So he pulled up right behind the car, bumper to bumper, and went inside. An hour later, someone rang the bell, and my husband explained that though the church may own the property, they said that it’s ours in terms of usage while we’re renting it, and that the driveway is not an extension of the street parking or the church’s own parking lot.

He’s also seen people blocking the driveway with their idling cars while waiting for their kid to come out, and when he would honk, they would try to wave him to go around, assuming he was another waiting parent. He’s had to get out of the car and tell them, “I live here and can’t get in my driveway, move your car.”

Once I came home to my old apartment building to find the pool guy’s truck taking up my assigned space and the one next to it, leaving me nowhere to park. I parked behind him and headed toward the pool. When I saw the pool guy, I said, “you’re parked in my spot.” He said, “yeah, I’m almost done, so I’ll be leaving in 5 minutes.” My response was, “no, I’m parked behind you, and I’m not leaving for an hour or so.” I went to my apartment with a big smile on my face.