Nephew & Nieces

Mothers and fathers collectively are parents; brothers and sisters collectively are siblings. Similarly, sons & daughters are children.

But what’s the term for nephews & nieces collectively? I’ve got 24 of them, and need an easy word to refer to them all.

While we’re at it, is there a collective word for uncles & aunts?

Relatives that don’t give good Christmas gifts.

Well, shut my mouth. It’s also illegal to put squirrels down your pants for the purposes of gambling.

How about “the offspring of my siblings”? I think nieces and nephews is easier to say though. :slight_smile:

Niecphews. Is there such a thing as neicasism?

“Pardon me while I have a strange interlude.”-Marx

hit submit and all sorts of obvious thoughts occur. there is no collective for aunts and uncles. The collective of aunts of course is hill and uncles are whadjabringmes but together ?

“Pardon me while I have a strange interlude.”-Marx

At least for you low-level coders, how 'bout ‘zeroth cousins’? Go figure.

Aunts and uncles are, of course, ‘first cousins minus-once removed’.

Some people believe in-laws and half-relatives have imaginary values.

Anything else I can help you with, relatively speaking, that is?

Ray (And MIDI keyboards go to their grand pianos for Thanksgiving.)

Boy, that’s an interesting topic. Although I don’t know the answer it brings up a thought with me.

I have Step Family…tons of Step Family! I often wonder what to call them. I get sick of saying “My step-brother’s aunt” my “step-aunt” and such.

To make matters even worse I call my step-brother “brother” only when I have to clarify the step-uncle thing…but step-uncle seems so obtuse.

sheesh

How 'bout “Kinfolk” for that Southern touch?

In my family, we’ve always called them “niblings”.

Chaim Mattis Keller
cmkeller@compuserve.com

“Sherlock Holmes once said that once you have eliminated the
impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be
the answer. I, however, do not like to eliminate the impossible.
The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it that the merely improbable lacks.”
– Douglas Adams’s Dirk Gently, Holistic Detective

I can’t but wonder if other languages have collective words for siblings, aunts/uncles, etc. I misplaced my French dictionary, and I don’t recall ever seeing a French word for “sibling”.

A related question: when your sibling becomes a parent, you become an uncle/aunt, through no action of your own. In my old philosophy class, we called it a “Cambridge change”. Is there a more common name for it?

niblings…that’s too cool, mind if I borrow that?

I love it! gotta say it again, niblings

I call my stepbrothers as such, but drop the “step” for everything else; i.e., their wives are sisters-in-law and their kids are my nieces and nephews.
Maybe not technically correct; I think the usage can vary depending on the strength of the relationship.
Anybody here who grew up with an Aunt _____ or Uncle ____ who was not really related?

in french, there is no word for siblings. as for what you’d call your nieces & nephews and aunts & uncles, i’d just stick with “nieces & nephews” and “aunts & uncles.” if you must find a term, try “my brother’s family” or the like.

Relatives?
Peace,
mangeorge

Actually, in French and Spanish (and probably most Romance languages), any group of mixed sex can be collectively referred to in the masculine plural. Ie, brothers and sisters would just be “brothers”. It’s the same for parents and grandparents, nephews and nieces, and aunts and uncles.

PS, this came at a good time. I was just wondering how to refer to my niece (who is my step-brother’s step-daughter) and nephew (who is my stepbrother’s son and half-sister to my niece). Usually I just call them Kristin and Johnathan. :slight_smile:

Cessandra

Why sex is better than religion: You can scream “Oh, God” during sex, but just try saying “Oh, f***” in church!

*cmkeller: In my family, we’ve always called them “niblings”. *

That sounds perfect!

Sounds like siblings, “nib” implies little, and it sounds patronizing enough to elevate my above the little rugrats. :slight_smile:

Thanx!

*techchick68: Boy, that’s an interesting topic. Although I don’t know the answer it brings up a thought with me.
I have Step Family…tons of Step Family! I often wonder what to call them. I get sick of saying “My step-brother’s aunt” my “step-aunt” and such.

To make matters even worse I call my step-brother “brother” only when I have to clarify the step-uncle thing…but step-uncle seems so obtuse.*

Here’s an equally confusing situation: My parents had three kids together. From their first marriages, my father had 2 kids and my mom one; these are my half-siblings.

To top it off, my dad’s ex- and my mom’s ex- got married and had a daughter; not really related to me, but I call her my quarter-sister. She and I have the same half-siblings, but for opposite reasons.

Since this all happened in the 50’s, the fathers did the “honorable” thing and surrendered their parental rights so that the other could adopt their children. So my mom’s first daughter is my half-sister & adopted sister.

We don’t usually use any prefix when referring to each other (although my half-brother calls his dad’s third wife his evil step-mother :)).

Since all six of my siblings (fractional or otherwise) are from 6-16 years older, they’ve all got a head start on the procreation. Add in the 7 niblings ( :)) from my wife’s siblings, and I have 24 niblings. Hence why I needed a collective term!

(I’ve gotta get “nibling” into print so that it’ll become an official word. :))