Netflix recommendations?

We recently signed up for a free month’s trial of Netflix (to watch Roma.) Anyone have any recommendations as to what we really ought not miss this next month in terms of Netflix material.

We watched a couple of seasons of Orang is the New Black, then got disenchanted.

While we like some drama, as this winter is dragging on we’d really like some comedy. To give an idea of our tastes, right now we are binging Brooklyn 99, and we liked Parks and Rec.

Are you already watching The Good Place? Seems like it would be right up your alley if you like Brooklyn 99 and Parks and Rec.

Russian Doll is good and very funny.

I haven’t watched myself yet, so IDK for sure, but the trailer to “Working Moms” cracked me up pretty good.

I’ll probably watch a couple of episodes tonight.

Umbrella Academy is a recent addition that was very enjoyable. Stranger Things and Black Mirror are both must watches. American Vandal is a high school “making a murderer” parody that perfectly captures everyone you knew in highschool. Glow is very good. The MCU super hero shows are mostly pretty good (Iron Fist not so much). Altered Carbon is great Sci Fi. Santa Clarita Diet is a hilarious zombie comedy with Timothy Oliphant and Drew Barrymore. Not sure you can go through all that in just one month, but I would certainly try!

Oh yeah, Santa Clarita Diet is real good and not as gory as other zombie shows are. Nathan Fillion guest stars in a few episodes as well.

“Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries”, an Australian crime-drama set in Melbourne of the Roaring Twenties. Based on Kerry Greenwood’s Phryne Fisher series.

I’ll definitely second The Good Place if you haven’t seen it. It’s both absurd and intriguing.

The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt is along the lines of P&R. Kimmy has a charming sincerity that plays off well against the crazy characters in her life.

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend is a bit less absurdist than P&R, but a lot of fun. And, yes, every episode has a musical number like this. (Rebecca goes to court for a dispute the people of West Covina have with Hollywood over water rights.) Or this: JAP rap battle. (Rebecca faces a childhood rival in court.)

The Kominsky Method starring Michael Douglas and Alan Arkin. It’s kind of a touching comedy about an actor and an agent moving on as they get old. It really is a comedy, but it has some good insight.

Shameless. This is a hilarious comedy about the older sister who has to raise her younger siblings after their mother abandons them and despite having to take care of their drunk useless father. Sounds hilarious, right? But it is. Watch as the kids scam the system and fool the authorities into letting the family stay together as they navigate life in a poor neighborhood. Really, it is funny.

Thanks. Should probably give The Good Place another try. We watched it the first season, and it just didn’t do it for us. Maybe it caught its stride later. But that is available on regular TV and On Demand.

We really liked Justified w/ Timothy Oliphant, and are HUGE BTVS fans, so that SC Diet sounds good. Let’s see - I think Superstore is our fave sitcom now.

Have heard of some of those - not others. I have mixed feelings - not that I really need encouragement to watch MORE TV than I currently do. But might consider dropping cable and just doing Prime and Netflix…

“The End of the F…ing World”
Two 17-year-old outsiders, James and Alyssa, embark on a road trip to find her estranged father, who left home when she was just a child. James, who is convinced he’s a psychopath, has decided it’s time to graduate from killing animals to something bigger – and he already has a target in mind. Alyssa, the embodiment of existential angst, feels like she doesn’t fit in at her new school despite being quite popular. Together, they get caught up on a trail of violent events that grow increasingly more ominous as their quest progresses.

“Big Mouth”
The series follows a group of 7th graders, including best friends Nick Birch and Andrew Glouberman, as they navigate their way through puberty, masturbation, and sexual arousal in the suburbs of New York City. Acting as sex-based shoulder angels are the hormone monsters: Maurice, who pesters Andrew and occasionally Nick and Jay; and Connie, who pesters Jessi and occasionally Missy. Throughout the series, the kids interact with people and objects who are personified in one way or another and offer helpful, albeit confusing, advice in their puberty-filled lives including the ghost of Duke Ellington, a French accented Statue of Liberty, a pillow capable of getting pregnant, and even Jessi’s own genitals.

“A Series of Unfortunate Events”
This series follows the tragic tale of three orphans – Violet, Klaus, and Sunny Baudelaire – who are investigating their parents’ mysterious death. The siblings are saddled with an evil guardian named Count Olaf (portrayed by Emmy-winning actor Neil Patrick Harris), who will do whatever it takes to get his hands on the Baudelaires’ inheritance. Violet, Klaus, and Sunny must outsmart Olaf at every turn, foiling devious plans and disguises.

“Skins”
The lives of a group of teenagers in Bristol, England, are followed through two years of sixth form, with the story line of this critically acclaimed series delving into such controversial subjects as substance abuse, sexuality, teenage pregnancy, personality and eating disorders, and mental illness.

“The Ballad of Buster Scruggs”
Coen Brothers latest

“Derry Girls”
Following Erin and her friends as they grow up in a world of armed police in armoured Land Rovers and British Army check points in 1990s Northern Ireland and attempt to navigate the highs and lows of being teenagers

I loved Flowers. I was surprised at how much I ended up liking Sex Education. It was funny and sweet.

I take it you didn’t watch the entire season.

The show hit its stride by about the 6th episode, but it’s possible not to realize it until you get to the end.

Most people have mentioned shows I’d suggest, but I’d add Sex Education, about a 16-year-old who becomes a sex therapist for the other kids at school. It includes Gillian Anderson as his sex therapist mother who has no conception of boundaries.

Others I’d second: Black Mirror, Derry Girls, Miss Fisher, The Kominsky Method. Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. You don’t have the time to watch Midsomer Murders – they’re long and there are a lot of them – but if you subscribe, they are great old-fashioned British cozy mysteries.

Yeah, Sex Education is great.

It’s not a comedy at all but I’m going to suggest it anyway. Paddleton. It’s an odd movie, but I was so drawn to the characters and the story. Ray Romano plays a man who, to ME, seems like the most realistic portrayal of an older autistic man I’ve ever seen. It’s never said, he’s just some sort of off-putting strange guy who has a connection with his neighbor. Neighbor (Mark Duplass) finds out he has cancer. That’s pretty much what the movie is about. There are some sweet funny sentimental parts.

The absolutely best thing on Netflix these days (assuming you like horror comedy) is Ash vs. Evil Dead.

Bojack Horseman is brilliant.