Netgear router with 10/100 Mbps WAN connection. Why do they advertise 300Mbps speed?

Just bought a new Netgear dual band router (R6080) to upgrade a 10 year old N300 router. Went through all the setup hassle only to discover it is slower than the old one. The culprit seems to be the 10/100 Mbps WAN connection. It was advertised as 300 Mbps (n) and 700 Mbps (ac), but it turns out to be slower than the old N300 which has a gigabit WAN connection. There’s no way that this new router is ever going to deliver internet above 100 Mbps, regardless of it’s wireless capabilities, right? Sort of surprised a new router wouldn’t have gigabit capabilities.

That does seem pretty lame, but if the router can act as a bridge, and the WiFi point the modem was connected to supported >100 Mbps, then you could also see >100 Mbps. Still, that’s gotta be a pretty rare case and it seems like deceptive advertising. And it is pretty ridiculous for any new product to not have gigabit ports.

I thought it was bad for my cable modem to advertise “10 Gbps” when at best it can do 2 Gbps through dual bonded gigabit ports. But your example seems worse.

Of course, networking speed isn’t just for internet use. So a router that supports faster speeds than the WAN can support isn’t inherently useless. But the Netgear site advertises “Fast download speeds up to 1000 Mbps”, and that isn’t very accurate.

Clever/deceptive marketing. It took a bit of reading and searching to find out the qualifier to the 300+700/1000Mbp Wi Fi means. Finally found it here: https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/networking/wifirouter/R6080.pdf

“Up to 1000Mbps wireless speeds achieved when connecting to other 802.11ac 1000Mbps devices. Maximum wireless signal rate derived from IEEE 802.11 specifications. Actual
data throughput and wireless coverage will vary and may be lowered by network and environmental conditions, including network traffic volume and building construction.”

So you can’t get it locally becaue you’re 10/100Mbps, only if you’re using a 802.11ac device and sending a single to another 801.11ac device. If if you have gigabit fiber, you’re still limited to 100Mbps from your router.

Bottom line, get a real 100/1000 router unless you want to be limited to 100Mbps wired.

Yeah, that’s pretty much what I thought. It’s going back tomorrow. I’ll likely keep the N300 in service. I am adding three Nest cameras (which is why I considered an upgrade). I will check the performance once the cameras are connected, and if the are no issues then I will consider it good. Only other devices are a Nest thermostat and a couple of Rokus, plus a phone or two.

Your first mistake was buying an ancient 10/100 router, rather than a gigabit speed model. The Linksys model I bought last year has a 2.2 Gb throughput.

Yeah, thanks for that bit of advice.