New Aeon Flux movie looks stupid

Harlan Ellison?

Actually, I downloaded some of the old Peter Chung Aeon animations from…somewhere legal…and IMHO, Famke Janssen(X-Men) would have been perfect.
Ms Flux
http://www.allaboutduncan.com/images/vcd/aeon02.jpg

Ms Janssen
http://harry.potter.cinezone.de/zone/7/star-corner/j/janssen_famke/galerie/16.jpg
Would have been better if it retained the weirdness of the original.

Ann Rice

Clive Cussler

Tom Clancy

Stephen King

The OOP Aeon Flux DVD has the original pilot plus four five-minute shorts, all of them non-talking. Amazon Marketplace has a few really cheap copies but beware, they might be bootlegs.

On the other hand, you might want to wait…there’s a rumor (according to TV Shows on DVD) that MTv will re-release the animated series on DVD before the live action movie comes out. Can’t say if it will contain the whole series or even if it will really happen – MTv sucks when it comes to DVD.

It’s worse than you think…The Maxx VHS is a shortened, edited version, with whole sequences missing, and most of the music (including “I Wanna Marry A Lighthouse Keeper”) has been replaced. (Did I say already that MTv sucks? Well, it bears repeating.) Since we’re more likely to elect a quadraplegic Muslim lesbian as President before MTv releases the original, uncut version on DVD, you’re best bet would be to download the episodes from a service that rhymes with “Plaza”. :smiley: (There were some bootleg DVDs sold on ebay a few years ago, but apparently they were burned right from the cheap downloaded mpegs.)

Thanks for the info, KGS. I’ll have to look into what I can do to acquire The Maxx, and I’ll keep my fingers crossed that EmptyVision won’t fuck up the AF re-release too badly.

I’ve heard that LT is almost impossible to find on DVD nowadays. Too bad-I loved that show and I loved the original Aeon shorts. That was just really bizarre.

Does anyone remember one where she keeps taking an elevator, and shooting at something hanging out the window on every floor? What was that all about?

Remember Winter Steele?

Crap, I want The Maxx, too - start a thread if you find anything, I’d be interested.

Neener neener. I have the original broadcast version of The Maxx. Woo!

On beat-to-shit SLP VHS.

Ok… at this point I’m thinking it’s a good thing I have both insomnia and mad google skillz… 'cause I can use both to find Larry Mudd’s house, create a diversion a la MacGyver, and nip into his house and snatch his copy of The Maxx! :smiley:

He won’t know what hit him!

Damn! Did I type that out loud?

I’ll help. I’ve been keeping an eye out for The Maxx for years.

:confused: You are all a bunch of pervs. That movie was never supposed to watched by anyone. If I find out which one of you took it out of my underwear drawer, you will so regret it. :smiley:

I have the oop of AF and it is masterly great, IMO. But there is no way they could make it into movie length animation feature.

Actually that LT clip is on the Aeon Flux DVD, along w/ I think 4 other clips. MTV released all of the animated shows onto 3 separate VHS but now the only way to get them would be through ebay, except for the main 2 hour Aeon Flux which is now available on DVD.

This has to be the worst trailer I’ve seen in a really long time. The visuals look stupid, the action looks boring, the story seems like a retread, and they managed to make Theron look remarkably un-hot. Yuck.

And the problem is that I represent an important demographic–someone who doesn’t know the first thing about AF. To make their money back, they’re going to need to bring in more people than just the scifi fanbase. But there’s nothing about this trailer that looks like something I haven’t seen before, and better. Unless the reviews are genuinely phenomenal, there’s no way you’ll catch me watching this.

Aeon is trying to accomplish a mission while simultaneously keeping thhe Breens from lowering a large cylinder into a hole in a giant metal doodad. Every time she shoots the cylinder, it swings like crazy and the Breens must draw it back to the top of the crane in order to stabilize it.

When the Breens finally do get the cylinder inserted into the doodad, they turn it and pull it back out. The doodad was part of a giant plug. Now that the plug is pulled, the base sinks.

Re Winter Steele

“I was overcome with emotion.”

“Minions of Shiva put air in your tires.”

MSSmith537

Wonderful choice.

Hawkeyejo

Because the film has borrowed the names and some of the look from the original, and replaced everything else with crap. Aeon Flux was a bizarre and inteligent series. You characterize the trailer as " a ‘normal’ sci-fi flick.". This can only mean they’ve pissed all over the AF and gotten rid of everything that made it special.
BTW

Aeon also had graphic novel (actually, it was almost entirely a series of written reports, dossiers etc) which explained how she first met Trevor, why the Breens and Monicans were fighting, and more. The Herodotus File.

Sadly, AFAIK nobody has reproduced the AF prop I really want- the key to the robot mayor/spatially displaced hideaway/Aeon’s chastity belt. That would make a great bottle opener.

Aye. Aeon Flux had the brilliant idea of using gnostic and hermetic mythos as a ready-made template for stylish, sexy science fiction. (The Wachowski Brothers usually get credit for this, but Aeon Flux did it first. They acknowledged their debt to some degree by giving Peter Chung some work on The Animatrix.)

This ‘propaganda’ from the book that DocCathode mentioned will give you a little bit of an idea of the conception of Aeon Flux. It’s pretty much a Valentinian manifesto.

Without going into too much boring detail, Trevor Goodchild represents the ‘Demiurge’ or ‘Ialdabaoth’ of the Gnostics. The Demiurge is the lord of the physical realm, but is insane and thinks he’s the supreme god. ‘Ialdaboath’ means ‘Come, child,’ in ancient Hebrew.

Aeon is Sophia, of course.

The demiurge believes that he created Sophia and controls her, but in reality she is superior to him and works against his will to bring free will and apotheosis to human beings. This accounts for the confusing relationship between Aeon and Trevor.

The Aeon Flux shorts are all bizarre Jungian/philosophical allegories. The trailer for the movie makes it look like it’s going to be a straight-forward dystopian adventure – which would be totally missing the point.

Not to mention that the black jumpsuit is a long way from the chastity-belt and thigh-boot look that the animated shorts had going on, esoterica or not. :smiley: