New Airline Security Measures

It seems to me that what they’re doing is punishing passengers for something that was the fault of security.

But what I want to know is this…can I watch a movie on my iPod during the last hour if it’s not in my lap?? Like if it’s on the tray table or something?? Or sticking out of the pouch, or if I’m holding it not in my lap?? Not being a smartass, I’m being serious.

I guess you’re lucky. I HAVE to fly – to visit my in-laws, if for nothing else.

Considering that your iPod is a piece of electrical equipment I’d venture a NO.

Daft? yes, but what ya gonna do?

They could always come see you:smiley:

If somebody DIES, of course I’ll get on a plane. But if I have a long weekend, it’s going to be a roadtrip somewhere.

My father-in-law is almost 80 years old. He has a better reason not to travel than I do. My wife insists we go to see him at least once a year. That means flying.

Perfectly reasonable.

I’m not saying my (extended, distant) family DOES come see me, but theoretically, they could. Friends do come to town, but it’s mainly because I live in a vacation destination, so that helps.

(Sorry for the hijack, OP).

As the OP’er, it gives me great pleasure to announce that the new security rules have been abandoned!. (The actual wording was that the rules were “eased’”, but it’s pretty clear they’re gone.)

Came in from Paris today. We were frisked before getting on the plane (two and a half hours for boarding), but we were allowed to wear ear buds coming into land.

What I’m not sure I completely get is the complete lack of interest in increasing security on domestic flights. Not that I’m for making flying worse, I hate the whole business and wouldn’t fly if I could help it anyway, but it seems strange that they seem to assume that there’s no chance that someone already in the US is going to blow up either an internal flight or one on its way out. Security at St Louis on Sunday, on a flight to Chicago, consisted of the staff asking me to confirm that the guy on the X ray machine had correctly identified vanilla Zingers in my carry-on. Apparently he’s never wrong about what kind of cakes people are taking on board with them… And that was it, I wasn’t checked again, or even my passport looked at, before getting on my next flight. No-one patted me down, none of my luggage was opened. It was more “difficult” for me (a British passport holder) to get back into the UK than it was to leave the US - drug/explosive dogs sniffing around, big customs activity, couple of passport checks. Yet I don’t believe that if I’d decided to join in with the America-hating, I’d have found it that difficult to get hold of something that went bang while I was in there and crash that first plane into Chicago (or whatever). All the 9/11 planes were domestic. What is it they think they know that means they’re not interested in internal security?

Just an update…

I flew back home from Newark to O’Hare yesterday. The only thing I noticed was that NOBODY asked me for my ID. Yup, NOBODY.

Nothing new with the security…just the usual put your crap in a bin, run it through the X-ray machine thing. No inspections at the gate. No rule about nothing in your lap during the last hour of your flight – just the usual “turn off all your devices” announcement (which I still don’t understand; I guess that means that I can still use my iPod Classic since hard drive-based iPods literally do not turn off unless the battery completely drains) right before landing…

I’ve taken 2 five-day trips in the last two weeks, and my third is scheduled for this weekend (I’m a glutton for punishment).

I noticed absolutely no difference whatsoever in the security precautions and procedures between the time I flew out on my second trip (Christmas Eve) and the time I returned (Tuesday, Dec. 29).

There wasn’t anything on the plane about sitting for the last hour, nothing about any changes in carry-on restrictions (and some of those need to be looked at - it should be OBVIOUS that a four-foot long stuffed duffel bag does not fit the restrictions). The only difference I noticed is that everybody seemed to be in a bad mood, much more so than the normal travel-related bad mood that everybody’s always in.

It’s a lot easier to do with 36 planes than thousands.

Only their airplanes land & depart from there? No other carrier operates in and out of Israel? :rolleyes:

A) All flights into and out of Israel have their own agents at the gates and they do their own security. Delta, Continental, KLM, Air France etc… Get on a direct to Israel flight at JFK and see for you self.

B) They profile and in very un PC ways… That is what works.

C) Try to board with a last minute cash one way ticket even if you could buy one… snerk

D) Try to go to Israel without proving what you are going for and giving them less than 24 hours notice on you first ever trip to Israel… Wheeee what fun you won’t have…

E) It’s 32 airplanes.

F) So they do the security for every plane in and out… It can be done.

G) Ask any non American world air traveler about US airline security… The laughter will be overwhelming. We are the joke of the world in that area…

True. I’m sure that Israel reconstructs all airplanes entering their nation to their standards, replaces the pilots with Israeli veterans, sends security staff to all of the airports and airlines that fly into Israel, have armed personnel in airports located in other nations, provide anti-missile countermeasures for all incoming aircraft from other airlines. I’m sure they do all that.

Not according to Wiki or El Al(which lists 37). But I’m sure you know better than they do.

Done. You’re wrong.

Actually, no. We (Canuckistan) are the joke.

I just talked to my friend who flies in and out of there real regular. if you stand on Wiki for your cite, you don’t have a stand. But hey good nuff for here. I will go with the folks that are there and go there and talk to the pilots and the security people. 32- 37, makes no difference.

What is this about rebuilding aircraft? Huh? What has that to do with airport security?

You think KLM, Delta, etc. have their own people providing the gate personal in Israel?

You think because Israel is smaller they can do their air security and since we are big we can not?
That they only do the security for 37 airplanes?

In this statement you are so un & miss informed there is no place to start.

We can have just a s good of security as Israel by doing it just like Israel does it. Costs less than the way we do now and if you think we do a better job… well… Nothing more to say.

Actually, I could see them requiring the purchase of ‘official carry on’ items, IE - laptop bag, hand luggage, animal carrier. No longer can you travel with randomly purchased items, but each one must be of the specific official design, purchased from specific stores. There are already companies that make and sell very specific airline compatible pouches of little containers for toiletries, so it is not a large jump to consider specific carry on items to [supposedly] streamline the whole check in process.

Then why did you bring it up?

El Al security was brought up. This goes far beyond mere airport security and includes redesigns to their aircraft for better security, including a dual door system to get into the cockpit. Someone then suggested that we hire Israeli people to take over the TSA and bring that level of security over here. I suggested that it’s a lot easier to do with a 36 plane fleet than with thousands. For some reason you seemed to have a problem with that statement.

Nope. But I’m sure the straw salesman is happy.

Well great, say no more, because you are attributing a lot of stuff to me that I never said. If you are attempting to argue that my statement

was somehow incorrect, I’d have to say you’ve failed. If you’re trying to prove that you’re a jerk, you’ve probably succeeded.

Oh for heavens sake:

The man that was just over there said they had 32 on the line. Maybe they actually have 37 total, my point being that you are using that to discredit anything else I said. Well, I did it back at you , my bad.

I thought this thread was about airport security and what works. Just because one airplane builder puts in double doors does nothing to keep the bad guys off the plane.

This thread is about identifying and or keep the bad folks off the planes in the first place. Not about building better planes. Rockets on the ground around the airport do not make the security of checking the passengers better. This thread is about checking the passengers, why bring up this other stuff claiming it is covered because the word ‘Israel’ and ‘security’ were brought up?

And yes, there are Israel agents at every gate in the world that is launching an non-stop flight to Israel. they also handle all out going flights. If you had ever been to to Israel you would know this. Not to say there are not other nationality folks in attendance but they are the ones who say yea or ney…

Perhaps if you read the whole thread it might help.

I really don’t know what you’re on about. I just said it was tougher to implement El Al level security on the US than on El Al’s fleet.