New and Improved! versions that aren't needed

People generally are resistant to change. Especially if nothing is wrong with the current version of something, or if the “improvement” doesn’t seem to have any noticeable improved qualities. The main one that springs to mind is Facebook. Why on earth would they change it? There wasn’t a problem with it before. I can’t really put my finger on what it is about the new version that I don’t like, I just know that I didn’t have a problem with the old version, and the new one doesn’t seem like an improvement.

Feel free to mention any other examples, or explain why it happens, if anyone knows.

Schick and Gillete razor blades. No we didn’t need 4 blades. Actually, the 4 blades shaves my face less well than the old-two blades did.

Upgrade definately not needed. But I know why they did the upgrade and why the new 4 blades was designed NOT to fit on the old handles - to force people to buy a new set of handle plus blades. They do this everytime they need a revenue increase.

The bare-faced charlatanism of these companies made me revert to disposables - which actually give quite a nice shave.

I’d say at least 90% of all cars (next years’ model). The majority of differences between one year’s model to the next is typically a few aesthetic tweaks - just so some braggart consumer can help the company line its pockets by trading in for the next year’s model.

How refreshing would it be for a car company to continue to offer the same model - by name and year - for say five years?

“Yes, it’s 2012 and our brand new-from-the-factory 2007 model Monterras are still the highest rated compacts on the road according to…blah blah”.

I think the poster child for this has to be Vista. Most people were perfectly content with XP and in fact still are.

Any Adobe product. No I dont want to install any software that takes longer to install then an OS. No updating flash has NO reason to ask me for a restart

The new BBC iPlayer interface. Used to be that clicking on the “listen again” button opened a conveniently small window, where it was dead easy to navigate between stations without having to revisit the original page. I used to get to my favourite shows (vintage comedy and scifi on BBC7, Bruce Dickinson on BBC6, early music, world music and proms on 3, and Celtic Heartbeat on Radio Wales, and anything that caught my fancy on 4) in two or three clicks. Nowadays it takes four to seven steps, with needing to dedicate other tabs to exploring the rest of the site. It’s enough to make one believe that they do it on purpose.

Also, espresso blends for the cappuccino and latte generation. What most coffee houses today mean with an “improved” blend is one that it’s scorched and robust enough to cut through two cups of full-fat milk and artificial flavours (not to mention, conning customers into believing that the best kind of freshly roasted beans are the brownish-black and shiny ones). Like your espresso black and without sugar? Tough luck. It’s going to taste like airplane fuel.