New champ for most expensive material.

Since no one has ever actually made a Higgs Boson, and Californium is relatively dirt cheap, on a per gram basis, there is a new kid on the expensive stuff block. Or at least, there was for a while. 18 whiles, in fact. Anti-Helium-4.

For me, this is mostly just interesting reading. Have no clue on the cosmological implications. So, forgive me from not asking any specific question. Just basically ooooo. What?

Tris

You link doesn’t state what is the price per gallon. :slight_smile:

I don’t have access to the grant proposal. :dubious:

However, since the amount is 64 atomic mass units total, I am pretty sure it’s gonna be a champ. Everything smaller is much easier to make, and the stuff we can make that is bigger is way more stable.

Tris

Wait. They only made the nucleus, not the entire atom? They never finished the job! Add a few positrons and away we go!

Lessee… 18 atoms of anti-helium-4. Total mass… 18 * 4 atomic mass units, or 18 * 4 * 1.66 x 10[sup]-27[/sup] kg = 1.2 x 10[sup]-25[/sup] kg.

Let’s say the experiments cost a million dollars in total to run. Energy costs, staff salaries, time on the experimental equipment, data-analysis…

Cost per kilogram would then be 1 x 10[sup]6[/sup] / 1.2 x 10[sup]-25[/sup] kg = 8.4 x 10[sup]24[/sup] /kg. Yes, that’s 8.4 trillion trillion dollars per kilogram.

Handling and shipping extra. :slight_smile:

I don’t know about you naive techno types, but over in economics nothing is expensive until somebody sticks a price tag on it and successfully sells it.

That’s real science, son. :slight_smile:

GQ is our forum for asking questions. MPSIMS is our forum for going ooooo. So forgive me for moving this. :wink:

Colibri
General Questions Moderator

That’s only a dollar a nanogram! I think your estimate is low. Oh, no wait. Plus shipping and handling which would include storage while you run the experiment for a few million years.

Tris