New development in Wizard of Oz "hanging"?

I just borrowed a VHS copy of this movie from my library. The cassette itself did not list a date, but the record in the library catalog listed a date of 1983 - but that doesn’t sound quite correct. I was hoping it would be 1986, because that’s supposedly the year that this YouTube person had.

But anyway, I checked out that scene on the VHS tape, and it was still a bird, no hanging object in the background. Which is what I had pretty much expected already, based on everyone else’s comments.

Or if his name changed from “Woods” to “Wood” and back to “Woods” again in a single paragraph? :wink:

whatever that thing is, it doesn’t even look like a munchkin. It looks like a wicked witch. Probably the until-recently-good witch of the south who went bad when she heard she didn’t get to appear in the movie.

If it’s really there, it obviously doesn’t weigh anything either, because it’s clearly hanging sideways. Its center of mass should be under the part of the tree it’s suspended from, instead it’s way out where there’s no tree above it at all.

It really looks like some kind of piece of fabric, flapping slowly in the breeze. Maybe something used to cover props that somebody hung there and forgot about.

As legionmonkey wrote in the comments on the YouTube link in the OP, there’s evidence this was put over the original video:

(the first one is at more like 0:52)

It’s threads like this and especially posts like this that keep me a Doper.

It was an edited hoax and I can prove this very clearly.
I have made a video on youtube to point out that parts of the bird still appear in it, proving the bird has been edited out.
Both of the birds wing tips poke out from behind a tree, the editor has obviously missed them, its best to watch this in full screen

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAqvkj3HtGY

It was found on a vhs tape that claimed to be original, but you can clearly see it has been faked, someone made this as a hoax

It was an edited hoax and I can prove this very clearly.
I have made a video on youtube to point out that parts of the bird still appear in it, proving the bird has been edited out.
Both of the birds wing tips poke out from behind a tree, the editor has obviously missed them, its best to watch this in full screen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAqvkj3HtGY

It was found on a vhs tape that claims to be original, but you can clearly see here it was faked

You all are missing what really happened. The munchkin dressed up as a bird before hanging himself. Ps the video is fake

This

but that’s why he dressed up as a bird so no one would realize it till later. He then had his buddy cut him down and cover the whole thing up…

Also if that is how it looked originally. IN the theatrical release, I find it hard to believe that nobody in all the millions of millions of people who watched the movie saw such an obvious hanging body.

The body is supposed to be higher up you can see it in the film it is in the secne were the wicked witch comes out in the forest. I have the VHS version and have seen it.

Good for you. But it still isn’t there.

So someone commits suicide on a studio soundstage filled with people, and none of those people have ever talked about it, not even the lead actors who danced right by the corpse without noticing or caring. MGM covers everything up, threatens everyone into signing confidentiality agreements, and even bribes the LA county medical examiner into silence … but then they use the take containing the suicide in the film, despite having at least five or ten other usable takes.

Yeah, that makes perfect sense. :dubious:

Honestly, even if there were something like that in the background, the idea that it was a hanged munchkin would never cross my mind. I’d assume it was some piece of equipment or some prop that broke loose and was hanging by a cable or something like that. The whole legend is ridiculous.

Interesting topic/zombie thread combo.

Those are fake trees on the set, probably constructed of cardboard or plywood. Some of them look one dimensional. An insubstantial fake tree would topple if someone tried to climb it. If it didn’t fall over, likely the flimsy branch to which the rope was tied would break with the plunging weight of a body, even a small body.

Plus I don’t see a step stool or ladder lying kicked over on the ground. Let’s say I’m wrong about the trees and they are as sturdy as a man-o-war’s mainmast, how did the suicidal munchkin get up the tree? Little people often have hip dysplasia and configurations of the thighs and spine that make shinning up a tree improbable.

I vote bird.

Yeah, I was going to make some kind of joke about a zombie hanged munchkin but decided against it.

And I knew about half of the last dozen or so surviving Munchkins. They would have talked about it.

Stopped short, eh?