New Disease of the Day: Ankylosing Spondylitis

My homeopathic medication cured my Morgellons right up.

effecting a limp”

Thought you’d want to know…

Why would the OP want to know how to use the wrong word?

See literary sources:
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1ASUT_enUS525US525&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=%22effected+a+limp%22

Look at it this way: “affecting a limp” would mean that someone is changing the limp of someone else. Like, you added a riser to the shoe for a short leg and now the person is limping less.

But “effecting a limp” means pretending to have one. An actor playing Richard the III (I think that’s right) must effect a limp to capture that aspect of the character.

Not a jury in the world would convict someone who says “affect a limp” when the mean “effect.” Even when you google it, 1/2 the examples have it wrong! :slight_smile:

Ironically, the second result in your search is a grammar guide that shows the right word to use.

Affecting = pretending.
Effecting = causing to happen.

Affect

Worse yet, his mom heard it.

Gee, grinding Appalachian poverty + abusive family traditions = bad baby outcome. Who knew? She really was starving and malnourished at the time, I’m not sure if they didn’t have foodstamp/WIC type programs at the time or if she/her family simply hadn’t heard of them at the time or they were too proud to accept charity or what. Not a topic of discussion I really wanted to bring up.

References can be cited for either. This happens when a language makes a change. Soon, the usages of affect/effect will be further conflated, and thank god, really, because who needs the aggravation?

~ tapu

Really? I thought that was the symptom…

See how either would work? That’s cool.

RE: second result in my search

That’s one of the online references that is wrong. You can tell if you read the “tips” below for how each word is used as a verb.

Ugh. Unless your husband is a very young man, they can just fuck right off. Recommendations for folic acid during pregnancy didn’t come out until the 1990s. :mad:

Miller, I came across the post via a search engine this morning (not 2years ago.) Although, I suppose me bumping the thread will cause more people lurking the forums to see it. Nevertheless, anyone doing a google search could potentially come across it. I can only assume a moderator like yourself would prevent this by doing your job instead of not following the forums one guiding principle.

Lightray, I accused the OP of ignorance in his post on this one specific subject not the entirety of the Straight Dope. My apologies if that wasn’t clear.

Ankylosing spondylitis is nothing new Ankylosing spondylitis - Wikipedia
and it’s not an overly diagnosed disease. The only way to be diagnosed is with MRI (or xrays if the disease has progressed.) It’s not some bullshit over-diagnosed condition like ADD or asperger’s.

Do you understand what “self-diagnosis” means?

It’s when people diagnose themselves instead of a doctor. Often times after reading about something on wikipedia or webmd.

Correct.

My spouse dates from the 1950’s when they hadn’t a clue what caused that particular defect. It doesn’t stop busy-bodies from commenting, though.

Good. Now go back and re-read the first post in this thread a little more carefully, because that’s what he was referring to. This thread is mostly about people that self-diagnose with whatever diseases and/or ailments pop up in the popular media.

I’m not sure what you think my job here entails, but I’d be absolutely fascinated to find out.

I’m a scientist, and one of my best friends (also a scientist) suffers from type I diabetes and Restless Leg Syndrome. He has told me that on a day to day basis, the latter is the disease that is much more detrimental to his life.