New Far Side Comics (this time, for real!)

Gary Larson started his official site a few months ago, but he has actually published his first new Far Sides in 25 years now.

See them here!

Being discussed here:

Love the new style!
Looks like he is using a tablet to draw them - they look great.

Get a load of that raccoon’s face in “taxidermist”. :laughing:

I must be missing a pun or something. “Bears eating cub scouts”?

Love the art style.

The aliens are doing their “probe and release” in the UK or some other place with right-hand drive pickup trucks…

I think the joke is just that they are putting honey on them. More a chuckle than big laugh.

I thought it was mustard. Didn’t look real close, though.

I think the joke is simply that when bears go on a picnic, they eat Cub Scouts. Larson doesn’t always rely on a 2nd meaning for his jokes, and his jokes aren’t always all that funny.

Glad to see new work. Not so glad to see if those are the best he’s got.

Yeah, I’ve got to be a Debbie Downer as well. In the Letter From Gary Larson on the website, he writes that trying a new digital pen had re-ignited his love of making art, after 15 years of slacking. He says that the new digital tools and monitors can provide the level of detail that makes artistic subtleties possible. It looks like he is a long way from mastering the technique – there are almost none of the charming details that he used to work into his art.

And when it comes to cartooning, I think that deadline pressure helps develop genius. Not everyone needs deadline pressure to be creative, but if he went 15 years without producing artwork beyond an annual Xmas card, it seems like Larson could use an external push.

I wish him luck and dedication and everything good.

For years I kept telling people that GL must at least draw Christmas cards annually. I was right. And he’s under no deadlines so who knows what and how often he’ll share. I love the taxidermist.

Apropos of that: https://twitter.com/greg_p_kennedy/status/987044279544578050/photo/1

And Brownies for dessert?

I looked at them less as fancier versions of his old work but art with a warped little bent to it. They’re humorous, rather than outright comical. I’m ok with that.

This would have been a much better caption than he came up with. Or no caption, but have one of the bears saying that up in the cartoon itself.