New garage + rural Maine + winter coming = Chandeleur screwed?

My new garage was completed recently. As it stands now, it is uncoated T111 plywood siding that awaits my paintbrush. Problem is, apparently my new garage has singlehandedly caused Mother Nature to end her drought of this area. And I wait. And winter is coming. Fast. (It has already snowed, once)

So, I plan on getting the primer on this weekend, as it looks like the weather will be favorable. That’s all I plan on; the topcoating will have to wait until Spring, I’m sure. So, my questions are:

If I can’t get favorable temps and conditions to at least prime it, what are my alternatives?

Is staining/sealing it until Spring an option with the weather?

Is priming now and painting it in Spring a bad idea?

Should I paint it to match the house?

My thanks for your time.

I threw Thompson’s water seal on a small shed in a similar situation. It lasted the winter OK. Paint wouldn’t stick in the spring, however.

Outdoor rated plywood can probably stand a winter, but the surface might get roughened and difficult to paint. If it were me, I’d consider getting a roll or two of tar paper (roofing felt) or maybe sheet plastic and stapling that over the plywood for the winter. Aesthetically, it wouldn’t be very attractive, though.

Visquine is your friend.

Or “visqueen”, even. Plastic sheeting, yeah, that’s the stuff.

Unless you are north of Millinocket (where it’s really really cold), I’d say this weekend is as good as any to get that prime coat on. Do it in the morning after any frost or due is erased by the sun. I’ve painted with winter gloves on before…30-ish. No problem. It will just take a good hour or two more to dry thoroughly. And if you can try and have it dry with absolutely no moisture for 12-14 hours that would be best.

You shoul put some sort of protection on that wood. I don’t like the idea of all that plastic – I’d worry about sealing water in with that idea. There are a number of wood preservatives that are paint/stain friendly. A quick search turns up:

‘Akzo Nobel’s Sikkens Wood Preservative’. http://www.logcareproducts.com/manufacturers/sikkens/woodpreservative.html This product, designed for use on log homes up to 6 months before finishing,

Thanks for the responses so far. Although appearance means nothing, I’d be hesitant to wrap it in plastic for the reasons Danalan mentions. I live in the deep woods, there’s no telling what would grow in there.

I think you’re right. It’s looking like this Fri or Sat at the latest. I’m in Steep Falls (near Sebago Lake), so I’m still in the warm part of Maine. :smiley:

The one thing the job foreman warned against, was Thompsons water sealer.

I wonder: If I prime it this weekend, and paint it in the Spring, is another coat of primer in order?

Couldn’t hurt, could it?

No, and it would probably be prudent to do so. I know some paints don’t like subsequent coatings without sanding in between coats, but primers seem to go no problem.

Also, the stappled up visquine will probabably blow off.

T-1 11 should be fine through the winter. All the stuff I have seen is pre-primed.

How much rain do you see in the winter? Snow won’t hurt it.

I have a shed that has T1-11 on it for 5 years now in the Colorado Rockies. It only has the primer on it and it is doing fine.

Yes, I know. I have to paint/side, whatever with that shed. Unfortunatly, I’m too busy building an addition.

Biggest Honey-Do in the history of man. :smiley:

Love Her I do. She just keeps coming up with these good ideas.

:slight_smile:

Heh. Rain? Not much. We get a little snow, though. Here’s me doing a little roof work last January.

:slight_smile: