New job, Already burnt out.

You’re 20, you have a job you love, there’s room for advancement. Stick it out. Use that bus time for sleeping.

A vote for talk to your boss. Given the situation, could you work 4 10-hour days instead of 5 8-hour days? Could you start work when you get there and leave early? Even minor flexibility might help.

But yeah, another vote for move in with a roommate or rent a room in a house. Promise yourself no more than a year, and it’ll be worth it.

This right here. You are young, and I’m assuming you’re working at Universal because you want to break into the industry. Jobs are hard to get now and it sounds like you basically like it aside from the pay (and if they’re honest about the impending promotion, all the more reason to stay) and the distance. Figure out what you can do to make your life more bearable temporarily, and see what your job brings. Keep your resume updated, network as much as you can at work (without being That Guy who’s obviously just sucking up), and good luck to you.

He confirmed it is an hour and a half drive.

Also, if he lived only a half hour away by car, why would he ride a bus for two hours?

I’ve had a job with a 1.5-2 hour commute each way, it sucked and I totally sympathize. I would agree that trying to move close sounds like a good idea if you can manage it – it saves money not just on commuting costs, but also makes it easier to live cheap since you have more spare time. For example you’re not rushing to buy groceries at whatever store or fast food place is open until midnight, you have time to cook, shop for bargains, wait in line at the discount store, etc. Also if your hours are stable, then maybe you can get a part-time/weekend job/holiday job?

One thing that I found helpful (when I had a car) was to alternate driving with taking public transit. So the days I drove, I would do some shopping near my job after work, then head back home after rush hour. Next day I took the train and got a break from driving, etc.

That’s not actually crazy: in places with poor public transportation, I’d say that sort of ratio is more the norm than an outlier. I am less than two miles from a large public university. I have a bus stop outside my house. It’s an hour and ten minutes by bus/train and involves two transfers.

You’re burned out on your commute but like your job? That’s not so bad. When you get older it’ll be the opposite; you’ll make tons of money at a job you hate so you can afford your place nearby.

If you go back and read what you wrote, it was vague. Sounded like you were saying you made $9/hr and 1/2 hour drive.

I second sharing a house or apartment close by. The job sounds good, so the compromise right now could be living arrangements.

I worked that schedule for $8 or $9/hr in NYC. it was ultimately worth it for the year or so that I lived there, but it was still pretty difficult. I used the commute time to read a lot. When the experiment had run its course I moved back “home” where I had a car, made better money, had family, could afford decent housing close to work, could eat non-ramen meals every day, etc. You can probably do anything for a year or two with the right attitude.

Universal City is well served by public transit. It’s relatively easy to get to from most of the city of Los Angeles, though the trip times will be long if you live in outlying areas. It’s the distance that’s the issue, not the lack of options.

There is a Red Line subway station right across the street - literally - from Universal City. The trip from Union Station/downtown LA to Universal is half an hour. For the distance traveled, the New York subway system doesn’t run any faster. Universal City station is also served by numerous bus lines - 150, 240, 155, 156, 224, 240, 656, 750. The 750 will get you to Universal in ten minutes to an hour from just about anywhere on Ventura Blvd.

The Orange Line busway, which runs the length of the Valley, connects with the Red Line at North Hollywood Station, one station north of Universal City. The Orange Line alone carries 24,000 people a day. The Gold Line and Blue Line connect with the Red Line in downtown LA.

If you’re young and working at Universal City, the best place to live transportation wise is North Hollywood, within walking distance of the NoHo metro station. You’re at the intersection of the Orange Line and the Red Line, the some of the best public transportation options in the US anywhere outside of Manhattan. It’s an exciting neighborhood with lots of shops, restaurants, clubs, theaters, etc. Downtown is half an hour away, and the Venura Blvd. is ten minutes to an hour away, depending on distance.

I’m curious. What exactly does your GF do in advertising? By my calculations, “almost $9 a minute” is close to a million dollars a year. And last time I checked, advertising isn’t known to be a particular lucrative field.

Advertising can be a VERY lucrative field. I had my best-paying job ever in advertising, and my best-paid sources when I was a freelance writer were advertising industry publications.

The ad industry may not want you to know this.

To the OP: having a dream job at 20 that has promise of advancement is a really good gig. Do what you have to to hang onto it because having a job you love is worth a lot. Most people don’t have that.

I too got the impression it was 1/2 hour by car, 2 hours by bus (and where I live that wouldn’t be surprising), but when it’s a 30-minute difference taking public transportation, go for the public transportation. You can always drive occasionally when you have something else to do after work. You will save the difference in gas money and aggravation.

I know people that choose to have a longer commute because they like the distance between their work life and their “real” life. I am not one of those people. I like my 8-minute commute. On the other hand, for a great job I would be willing to spend a lot more time getting there.

I vote for suck it up. Take advantage of the bus ride to either take a nap (assuming you don’t sleep through your bus stop) or read. Nine bucks an hour isn’t great, but I’m guessing you’re still living with your parents so your expenses are minimal. Yes, you do have long days, but that’s true for many people.

I’m not usually the “suck it up” type, but yeah. If you are indeed living with parents, I would take this time to save every red cent you can so that when you do get promoted, you can afford to move closer.

In the meantime, use your commute time productively. Sleep on the way the way to work. If you don’t have one yet, invest in a smart phone and surf the web on the way home (StumbleUpon is a great app for this). Or bring a book and become more learned and interesting. I would also try to way to fit more meals in the day. Even if it’s just a granola bar or a package of crackers and an apple. You’re exhausted because you aren’t taking good care of yourself.

Sell the car, buy a used motorcycle, gas bill goes way, way down.

Public transportation is indeed soul-sucking. I used to commute via bus, and for a brief period bus+metro and it is exhausting. Even with a smartphone providing me with endless media it was still a slog. The waiting, the standing, the semi-alert status you always have to be on so nobody tried to snag your iphone, all just drains you. I would have driven but like the OP, gas costs plus parking fees just didn’t make it financially sound. Hell, my dad’s at the top of the federal employee pay scale and he still takes the MARC rather than drive. A permit’s something like $300 a month.

The best combo that I’ve found to pass time for me was podcasts + crossword.

I think the motorcycle idea is a good idea. I’d give relocation another good long look. Maybe there are some other people at your work you can carpool with (put up a notice on craigslist rideshare or something). Putting up with public transportation does get easier though. Once you’ve made it through a couple of months you’ll adjust. The problem is if you’re willing to put your lifestyle through that.

Bonus: you also look forward to going to work on a motorcycle. (Also to leaving to go home, but that is usually the case anyway.)

*Note, the motorcycle is probably only a good idea in sunny southern California. I never considered one, living in mid-Atlantic and all.

Move closer. And 9 whatever an hour is dirt for the location. You need to practically rent a room only and eat rice and beans 5 times a week to save anything.

It was hyperbole, closer to 9 a minute than an hour. She’s a VP in a large firm. Horrible pressure, stress galore, I couldn’t do it if my life depended on it.

(When we first met, I thought she was a secretary or something. Hey, she’s a cute babe that dresses nice; and I’m stupid. I used to grab every check, figuring I was the big earner. I came to learn that she makes close to double my take home.)