New job, Already burnt out.

You said “metro” so I assume you ride the Red Line to get to Universal, is that correct? It only takes about 25 minutes to ride the entire Red Line, so I also assume there must be other trains or buses involved too.

I don’t know where you live now, but maybe you could look into moving to Palms or Culver City. Then you’d be able to take the Expo Line to 7th Street, and from there the Red Line up to Universal Studios, and the whole trip would be well under an hour, each way. There’s a park-and-ride lot at the Culver City station, and from your schedule it looks like you would probably get there early enough to find a spot.

Even without moving there might be a better transit itinerary you could use. Based on my experience, trip planning tools don’t always give you the fastest trip; instead the algorithm usually places a greater weight on minimizing transfers. Would you rather take three trains or one bus to get to the same destination? I don’t know about you, but if taking the trains means cutting down the travel time by a third, I’d rather do that.

It’s also just a fact that a big transition is always a shock to the system. Right now, you think you will feel this way–totally worn out–for years. But if you give it a few months, you may adapt. Find ways to use bus time as “me time”. Make new routines that get the bullshit of life handled more smoothly.

Are you living at home? If you are, you might try negotiating with your parents to find some way to lean on them a little more during this transitional period, in terms of getting things done. Or they might have some “on-the-spot” suggestions about how you can make this easier.

Perhaps a carpool could help?

BTW, given that the OP is twenty years old and working full time, I’m assuming that he/she skipped college. Frankly, this is a good argument for not doing so, as with a college degree, it should be possible to earn well above the minimum wage.

I dunno. A college grad has debt, including the four or more years of not working a 40 hour week. Project things out twenty years and compare again. I’m not dissing college (been there), but I’m not so sure things are cut and dried in favor of higher education.

Actually, the numbers are very cut and dried. A college education is the number one best thing you can do to improve your income and avoid unemployment, full stop. Of course, some succeed without one, and some paths of study are more lucrative than others. But the numbers show the advantage of a college education very clearly.

(Sorry to be on my soapbox. This argument is often casually offered up, and it has the potential to permanently harm peoples lives of they take it at face value.)

Before moving to the PNW 10 years ago, I lived in L.A. for 17 years (Clarington at Palms). I’d been living in Lancaster and commuting to Edwards AFB, 35 miles away. I went to work for a contractor that used our data, who was located across the street from LAX – 75 miles away, and with the Sepulveda Pass in between. I made that commute for two years before moving to L.A. My apartment was seven miles from the office, and it took 20 minutes to get to work. Sure there was the occasional gunfire, but it pretty much stopped after the Crips and the Bloods came to their truce. After a while I was laid off. A couple of months later I was re-hired at the same company, only it was at a facility in San Bernardino – 70 miles away. I bought a non-running 1979 Honda CX500 from a coworker for a dollar and spent $300 for new tires and a tune-up. As part of the famous ‘Peace Dividend’, the program closed and I was laid off after two years. My next job was in Orange, 42 miles from my apartment. I rode the CX500 until I got a Yamaha XJ600 (currently in the shop), and rode that until I got a YZF-R1. I have over 100,000 miles of riding in L.A. traffic.

Motorcycles can be cheap. You might not find one for a dollar, but you can find them at affordable prices if you’re looking for basic transportation and not something flashy. The Seca II got 50+ mpg and cost a couple-hundred dollars per year to insure. Lane-splitting is permitted in California, so traffic jams were not much of an issue. (Lane-splitting can be nerve-wracking, but generally there’s plenty of room and not bad at all.) You can also use the carpool lanes. Additionally, many places allow motorcycles to park free. Southern California is blessed with good riding weather. I rarely ride up here (which is why the Seca II is in the shop – it deteriorated from sitting in the poor wether – and the R1 gives me forlorn looks every day), but you can ride most days in SoCal.

The advantages of motorcycling in L.A. is that inexpensive motorcycles can be found, they get excellent fuel economy (the cheaper, less-powerful ones tend to get better mileage), they’re cheap to insure, they are less affected than cars by traffic jams, you can sometimes park free, and they’re fun.

The disadvantages are that car drivers will try to kill you, they’re less fun on the rare rainy days, and you can only carry as may groceries as will fit into a backpack. (You can actually carry quite a bit.)

If the weather up here would cooperate, and if my office wasn’t 110 miles from my house and my butt could withstand more than 80 miles on the R1, a motorcycle would be my primary transportation – even if the Prius gets better mileage than the R1.

Cool. I honestly had no idea and was curious how things stacked up down the road.

Ah. Ok then. I figure I already have the horrible pressure and stress galore. I might as well make the fat paycheck.

The only caveat I would offer is that one should go to the best school possible (according to US News, etc), study useful subjects (finance, accounting, STEM) join extracurricular activities that demonstrate or enhance teamwork and leadership and do summer internships at companies in your field.

In spite of sob stories about debt and college grads not finding jobs, anecdotal stories of college dropouts who become billionaires or backdoor their way into senior positions, and fringe research that minimalizes the long term earnings benefits of college, most legitimate studies demonstrate the same thing: college graduates earn more, are unemployed less, recover from periods of unemployment more quickly and have more prospects at less physically demanding jobs.

Besides, most “real” jobs like lawyer, engineer, doctor, accountant, even computer programmer (unless you plan on being one of those self-taught start-up guys) typically requires an education. Oh and if you think that you will go off and be one of those start-up guys, note that most SUCCESSFUL start ups are founded by experienced people in their 40s. The Zuckerberg’s are outliers.

One thing you can do is thank whatever higher power you choose to (God, Obama, your granddad) that you don’t have a child. And do whatever you need to do to keep it that way.

Other than that the answers are obvious: find a place looking for roommates closer to work, buy a motorcycle and get some training on how to drive one (if you don’t know how.)

That’s not what the cut and dried numbers say. They say that unemployment is higher among people without a college education. There’s a big gap between that and “if you get a degree your income and employment situation will improve”. For example, there are many people with degrees for which their job has nothing to do with the degree, or even requires a degree. There are numerous cases of people lying about their degree that become successful employees. And to an extent, employers don’t value too much education, so there’s that. And it needs to be broken down into which degrees have high/low unemployment rates, and from where people obtained those degrees. Basically, there are many factors that go into income and unemployment besides education.