New Job Woes - Cowardice vs. Greed

So. I got wind of a job opportunity at a local University’s IT department. Seems like a lot more work during the day (leaving me with less time to browse messageboards - sob!), some uncompensated overtime (a huge bugaboo with me, and probably the major downside), not a lot of money available for external training opportunities. And there’s the chance that I take the job and don’t fit in, and end up unemployed.

The upside is that it’s a much smaller commute. And it has WV State Vacation rates (24 per year, versus my current 10 as an IT contractor.) 18 sick days. Oh, and they’re willing to top my current salary by 15%. Medical coverage isn’t quite as nice, but the 401K’s a bit better.

Yeah, I know, you’re playing the world’s smallest violin already.

Thing is, with me, I just find this to be enormously frustrating. Do I get greedy - take the uncertainty and stress of the new job, and reap the monetary rewards? Or do I choose the vice of cowardice instead, staying on my current job where I think I could stay till doomsday, and where there’s plenty of money for external training - so long as I do the training my bosses want me to do.

Quoth the bald-headed kid, ‘Augh’.

If you ask me, greed and uncertainty are the driving factors in an IT career. I’m on my 5th job, and November 1 will make 8 years in IT, but I’ve more than doubled my salary since starting out. What other career can increase your salary by 225%?

Oh well it is a job

Shorter commutes can make a world of difference, I took a cut in pay to take a job that was 6 min from my house instead of a 35 min drive. The gas alone made up for probably a 3rd of the difference in pay and getting back an hour of my day did wonders for my ability to get stuff done. The new job was also located right across the street from a good basic shopping area…groceries, walmart, post office, etc. Making stopping by the store very convenient as well. The extra vacation days is a nice perk too especially for folks with families who occasionally need to burn a day due to sick kids.

If you survive the higher paying job for a year you now have a decent job history at 15% more pay. If you don’t like it, move on.

Apparently, this isn’t such a hard decision for most folks. :wink:

These decisions are always tough when you’re the one making the decision. It’s a lot easier for the rest of us to say it’s an easy decision: it’s not our lives involved!

But that being said, I just started a job with a shorter commute than my old one, more pay, more vacation time, and less time to surf the Dope. But it’s totally worth it. Instead of being bored all day at work and feeling like I haven’t done anything useful, I actually feel like I’m contributing. Yeah, it’s a bit more stressful at times, mostly because I don’t know what I’m doing yet (I’ve only been here 3 1/2 weeks!), but I’ll get through that, as would you, and in the end, I think the other factors will add up to make it a better choice.

If it is more money and you can afford to do so, put most of the extra amount (above your current salary) into savings so that if you decide to quit in a year or so, you’ve got a nice little cushion to get you through until the next job.

Take a chance. It sounds like the good outweighs the bad. If you really truly loved your current job, I might give a different answer, but since you already feel so-so about your job, go for it! Worst case is you end up with another job that you feel so-so about. At least you’ll be making more money and have a shorter commute!

Yeah, I can see your point. Thanks for contributing. :slight_smile: