New Orleans Po’ Boy: Need Answer Fast

I’m not going to vouch for the quality of this list, but if you look at the pictures in the link you will see that a po’ boy is not necessarily of the fried seafood variety.

It’s funny, as I’ve never actually had a seafood po’ boy the two times I’ve visited New Orleans. Both times I had non-shrimp and non-oyster versions of the sandwich (debris, ham & cheese, Italian sausage, IIRC). I’ve ironically only had shrimp po boys here in Chicago, funny enough.

I think the reason the seafood ones are the default for most people is because those are the most interesting and different sandwiches you’d get versus your local sub/hoagie shop. I like shrimp po boys fine, but I prefer my shrimp in non-sandwich form. It just doesn’t work as well for me on a sandwich. I may give the oysters a shot next time I’m in town, though.

I’ve only tried seven off that list, but their inclusion of Verti Marte, Domolise’s, Liuzza’s, and Parkway Tavern gives me confidence in the rest of their selections.

You have to notice what deli meats are used.

Liverwurst, pickle loaf, and in Louisiana, boudin. That’s a blood sausage.

My dad’s family made boudin on the farm. I never liked it.

My first time in New Orleans, 1993, ISTR my fiend had a hot muffuletta, cigarettes, and possibly beer delivered from Verti Marte.

I’ll take 2 then! Whattya mean, “is that to go?” Of course not!

Boudin doesn’t have to be a blood sausage. There’s boudin blanc, which has no blood. I personally grew up with the Polish version of blood sausage, kiszka, and also Hungarian versions, véres hurka, and like them both.

@bordelond - Is the usual boudin the liver-based sausage without blood, or the blood sausage version? The one time I had it in New Orleans, I seem to recall it being white. Or are both equally popular?

I’m not familiar with a blood-sausage version of boudin at all, but I could see it being a variation somewhere. Especially in a community where people perhaps traditionally slaughtered animals for food at or near home.

To me, if pork sausage is made with rice mixed into the grind, I’m comfortable calling that “boudin”. Inclusion of pork liver, hearts, and other leftover pieces is traditional but no longer de rigeur IMHO.

My favorite New Orleans food is Red Beans and Rice.

We stayed at the hotel next to the River. There’s a shopping mall underneath the hotel. You can enter the mall from the hotel by elevator or from outside on the riverwalk.

There were some great places to eat on the Riverwalk. All of them had delicious Coffee and served red beans & rice on the menu.

Yeah … I’m trying to remember where I’ve come across it – known as boudin rouge, I think. Pretty sure I was just watching some Youtube video where they ventured into Cajun country (or perhaps it was a Cajun country Youtuber himself) and showed off the blood boudin.

Good to see Frady’s made the list.