New Ryan Adams album out today

I’ve heard some intriguing advance buzz on Adams’ latest, Rock N Roll - that it’s his “80s rock album,” that it echoes Nick Cave, Joy Division, and U2, that it’s nothing like his alt-country stuff of albums past. From what I’ve heard on our community radio station, it sounds pretty dark and pretty raw.

I think I’ll be picking it up later this afternoon. Has anyone else had a chance to listen to it? Opinions?

I heard one track on the radio and it didn’t really stick out. I can’t recall how it even went now, I just remember hearing the DJ hype it up.

Ever wonder what would happen if Adams ever hooked up with Jeff Tweedy?

She told me she loved me like a brother. She was from Arkansas, hence the Joy!

Well, I picked it up after work and hoped to listen to it while I drifted off into a nice late afternoon nap. Not a good idea.

It’s an album Adams has always had the potential to make, that’s for sure. It almost feels like a tribute album to the stuff he was probably listening to when he grew up during the '80s: Joy Division, The Smiths, and The Replacements, in particular. Aside from the jangly “Anybody Wanna Take Me Home” and the ironically-titled piano ballad “Rock N Roll,” it’s a pretty intense, distorted guitar type of record. My first impressions are that it could use more of these sorts of tracks to break up the sonic assault, as it’s pretty overwhelming to get through in one listen. Some of the songs blend together, but “So Alive” is near-perfect, with Adams singing in an etheral falsetto underneath a propulsive drum beat and two interwoven new wave-ish guitar lines. “Boys” is another great track here, a reworking of Blur’s “Boys and Girls” with a perfectly simple two-note guitar riff holding it together.

Redundant at times, but very ambitious. I’ll give it a 3.5 out of 5; it’s one of those CDs I’ll probably listen to most when I’m getting myself psyched up to go out on a Saturday night.

gatopescado: I’d love to see Tweedy and Adams work together, but considering their respective egos, I’d hate to see one of them strangle the other to death with a low E string. :slight_smile: