New season of Louie. (possible spoilers)

That ex-wife doesn’t compute. She’s gorgeous, way out of the league of the other women he sees on the show.

I watched that scene again and I don’t find anything to support your interpretation. Neither of them had any surprise in their voice for the final interaction. It was all done very matter of factly which indicates to me that the rape fantasy scene was something that legitimately turned Louie on.

Furthermore, if Louie were not enthusiastic, then they would be no joke. It would just be the depressing story of an awful date. The entire episode is viewed more parsimoniously if you believe Louie was enthusiastic.

Whatever the intent of the writers; I found the whole thing off-putting rather than entertaining, and I am in no way a prude or easily offended.

I’ve been enjoying this season.

This show isn’t really a comedy at all - it’s occasionally funny but not very. I’m not really sure how you’d classify it. It transcends genres and is just flat out compelling. This is what you can get when executives just gave a talented person money and tell them to do what they want.

I enjoyed the third and fourth episodes. I suspect that the bookstore woman, who seems like his dream girl, will turn to be a nightmare.

I agree. I really like the show and it has some occasionally funny moments, but there are entire episodes that are downright depressing (in a good way). Sometimes, it seems like the episodes are structured so that it’s 23 minutes of set-up followed by one minute of punchline.

Guests of Night After Night will be staying at the Fabulous Mobley Hotel. Now with soap.

Not on Hulu this season? That’s how I watched it before. I guess I’ll have to go look up the TV schedule.

Considering she’s played by Parker Posey, who IMO has always been one part adorably gorgeous but the other part batshit insane, I wouldn’t doubt it…

Not too sure about this week’s episode. Pretty uncomfortable to watch, except for the deli scene. It made the date with Melissa Leo look like a swell time. Has Louie ever had a good date?

Just watched the 4th one (Daddy’s Girlfriend, Part 1). The stuff with the blonde comic was great. I suspect it’s based on someone Louis really dated who actually said those things. And she must be really mad. So mad, she might think about suing. Then the lawyer starts to explain to her: “Do you really want to testify in court that you really said … ?” Um, maybe not.

The scene of him looking into the classroom windows was unrealistic, but perfectly captures the mentality of a guy in his situation.

Still think the girls are amazing young actresses.

The only part that made me uncomfortable was when she was sitting on the edge of the building. :eek: I understood exactly what Louie was feeling when he was begging her to get away from the edge. I almost had to close my eyes.

The “tape recorder” bit was interesting. What do you do when someone makes a claim like that? It sounds too ludicrous to be true, but what if you laugh or refuse to believe it, and then it turns out to be true? Here’s this woman who’s been getting grief about her name her whole life and you’ve just added to it.

On the other hand, if it’s not true, you end up looking silly for not questioning it.

If you’re a decent person, you might choose possibly looking foolish over possibly adding to years of insult.

Maybe she did it as a test to see what kind of person he was.

So, I’m going to assume spoilers for aired episodes are cool.

I really liked how the date made Parker Posey’s character simultaneously seem like a crazy trainwreck and also possibly a very good thing for Louie.

On one hand:

1. Potentially an alcoholic
  2. Either crazy baggage in her past or a compulsive liar.
  3. Makes Louie wear a dress for her amusement
  4. Makes Louie harrass a homeless guy
  5. Almost kills Louie dragging him up 20-30 flights of stairs
  6. Kind of crazy comment about jumping off a building

On the other hand:

1. Potentially very open and honest (if she was telling the truth)
  2. Wicked sense of humor, up Louie’s alley (her name fakeout)
  3. Makes Louie do something outrageous and brave that he probably smiles about later (the dress
  4. Makes him see this city he loves in different ways (the walk, the deli, the rooftop)
  5. Encourages him to basically save a man’s life, which he’ll always be glad he did.
  6. The rooftop “jumping” comment is actually pretty insightful about the fear inside Louie that holds him back.

I really enjoy how nothing is black and white on this show, I’ll be interested to see how their relationship plays out.

Nearly everything about her could possibly be seen as a positive except for the drinking thing, which is not a small thing.

Notice that that’s the one thing we learned about her that Louie didn’t.

And, I should add, she was NOT honest with him about it. She told him the bar was too crowded for her.

So, the only thing she said that we have a fact check for was not true.

I love this show. It’s almost abstract art. The scene on the rooftop went from exhilarating to uncomfortable to frightening to joyous to disconcerting in, like, two minutes. Parker Posey can change personalities faster than Walter White.

Some of the stuff Louie deals with in the show is uncomfortable, but it’s not uncomfortable in a predictable way – and the discomfort is not dealt with in a predictable way. Like Louie following the bullying teen home two seasons ago and ending up sitting on the porch with the kid’s father, commiserating on the difficulties of raising kids. Or the bar scene at the end of the Miami episode, when he and the lifeguard discuss their misunderstandings about relationships between men, without really realizing they aren’t talking about the same thing.

On continuity, the actress who was his date in the bully episode also played his mother in an episode that was a flashback to his childhood. He did an episode last year in which he became, essentially, the permanent guardian to his teenage niece who we’ve not seen since. Louie clearly has no intention of bogging his storytelling down by making sure that the story he wants to tell today meshes with what he’s told us in the past.

All of this adds up to a show that is not always easy to watch, since it’s a bit uncomfortable not knowing where you’re going from moment to moment, but often it’s exhilarating by the time you reach the end.

Compare it to the show in the previous time slot, Wilfred. This show makes you uncomfortable in the same way as Curb Your Enthusiasm (and, by extension, Seinfeld, Frazier, etc.) by setting up situations that are more sit-commy, in that they’re based on common prejudices, stereotypes, male-female relationships, etc. These shows kind of exist in universes based on karma, because protagonists who lie tend to pay a price for it in the end. I find Wilfred enjoyable primarily because it points out the fundamental dishonesty of any other show with anthropomorphic animals…

Except the end sequence with Parker Posey :smiley:

That was Maria Bamford and although she did seem to be playing herself I don’t think that includes having had a relationship with CK. She’s a very funny, underrated, talented comedian (and rather cute, though she downplays this) but more than a little crazy. She had a nervous breakdown a few years ago and often talks about being diagnosed as bi-polar in her act. She mostly does voice-over work to pay the bills.

She’s an absolute perfect fit for *Louie * (the show) and hope to see more of her.

No one’s talking about last night’s episode, Barney/Never?

I think this was the best one of this season so far.

Both stories were dark, humorous and surreal. Robin Williams was great. I was cracking up at the strip club. And then they came out and looked at each other and started cracking up. :smiley:

That poor kid in the second one… :eek: And Louie having to deal with him and having no choice but to tell him that his mother was wrong. And Louie’s daughter - “daddy! ewww!”

I was pretty disappointed in it. The Robin Williams storyline was just okay, and the obnoxious kid storyline was completely predictable and by-the-numbers, more so than usual. I was hoping for some kind of twist or something to make it less predictable.