"New" shipwreck found in the Baltic Sea

Not new as in a new ship obviously, but new as in undiscovered before now. It will be interesting to see where it’s from originally, and if it’s a “known” lost ship from elsewhere that was pushed off course by wind and waves.

That’s very shallow water (125 ft) for there to be much mystery. That a wind energy survey crew made the discovery suggests it’s probably not too far off of Lithuania’s fairly short coast, too.

On the other hand, Kaliningrad is right there and there was and is all sorts of spooky stuff going on in and through the Baltic.

That article is awfully short of detail… Do we know anything at all about the ship yet? Even basics like whether it’s wood, steel, or some other material?

I assume there’s some kind of formula to determine how cold the water would have to be before a wooden ship would dissolve? And the way they’re talking indicates they think it might be older than steel, but I could well be wrong about that.

or even if it is actually a ship and not just some ship-resembling natural object.

One of the biggest threats to sunken wood is shipworms, which bore into the wood and eventually destroy it. But because the Baltic Sea has lower salinity than most of the ocean, shipworms are not as common there. So a wooden ship would last longer in the Baltic than in, say, the Mediterranean.

Interesting! Thank you.

For example, the Vasa

It’s almost exactly the same size as a typical WWII U-boat (220ft long and a beam of 20ft - since it is on it’s side the surveyors are calling it 20 ft high) and the imaging looks just like a sub laying on it’s side with 40 feet of it’s bow askew as if it was bombed or hit a mine.

If it’s made of wood, and the skeletal remains of lions, tigers, and dinosaurs are found inside, then it’s definitely Noah’s ark.