New ST film - would you kill many to save your child?

In the new ST movie…

at the beginning Khan convinces the one guy to blow up his building in order to save his ill daughter. I don’t know that that got addressed much through the rest of the film.

After watching it, I had to ask my wife if she would be willing to do such an act to save any of our 3 kids. Neither of us would.

A couple of weeks after watching the film, I find that is the one thing that stuck with me the most. I’ve read somewhat lightly about the fim here and elsewhere, but didn’t recall this being discussed much. Do others have the problem with it that I did?

Would you be willing/able to kill hundreds/thousands even if you were certain it would save your child? In some ways, it almost made that officer worse in my mind than Khan. I mean, Khan was “other.” As such, it was not unacceptable to me to have him act other than normal. But the father of the sick girl was just a normal guy, making a rational choice to commit mass murder…

It’s been a couple of weeks since I saw that movie but didn’t he evacuate the building (i.e., pull the fire alarm) before setting off the bomb?

There’s also a question of how much the guy knew. Presumably, Khan told him that the price was for him to go down into the “archives” and drop the ring into a glass of water. He may have guessed that the ring was an explosive or other destructive device. But he didn’t necessarily know that it’d be enough to destroy the whole building-- Maybe Khan told him that it would just blow up one room.

ok. Perhaps I wasn’t paying enough attention. But I thought the message he sent before the blast was an admission of responsibility referred to later.