NEW Stupid Republican Idea of the Day (Part 1)

The Tennessee Department of Health has stopped all vaccination outreach to children. Not just covid vaccine, but measles, and everything. They will no longer notify teenagers who have gotten one dose that they have to get their second. They will no longer hold vaccination clinics at schools, even if they are for adults.

The Dark Ages were good enough for Europe and by damn, they’re good enough for Tennessee, too!!!1!!!

And fired the state medical director for vaccine preventable diseases and immunization programs at the Tennessee Department of Health for providing information to doctors about vaccinating teenagers.

Boy howdy, did I get an earful about this today from Fang’s pediatrician today. I have a feeling most health-care providers are unhappy about this.

The stupid just keeps on coming.

“Don’t Fauci My Florida,” read drink koozies and T-shirts that Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis’s campaign team rolled out just as his state sees some of the highest coronavirus hospitalizations, new infections and deaths per capita in the country. It’s the latest example of Republicans running on their opposition to virus-fueled shutdowns and mask mandates. A pandemic hero to some and villain to others, Fauci has become a high-profile target.

The Fauci items are listed alongside “Keep Florida Free” hats and red koozies that take aim at face coverings with a DeSantis quote: “How the hell am I going to be able to drink a beer with a mask on?”

New coronavirus infection numbers plummeted in Florida after vaccinations became widely available, but they have ticked up in recent weeks. The state is reporting daily cases close to four times the national average — 26 new infections per 100,000 residents, the second-highest number in the country. The state’s latest covid-19 death rate is almost double the national figure, and it ranks fourth for current hospitalizations.

My bold.

:woman_facepalming:t4:

Makes me wonder if Franklin faced any opposition from contemporary nutters when he proposed the USPS. “They’ll come for our muskets!”

This is just insane! Unfortunately, I live in Nashville. I hate that my state politicians are so incredibly stupid.

Welcome to my world… where Texan democrats have to flee the state to get help from the Federal government to stop the passing of draconian Jim Crow voting laws. And are threatened with arrest when they come back!

These are getting nuttier with each passing day! Scary stuff…

She pointed out a 35 year old policy that had been upheld by the state supreme court. This was why she was fired. The mind boggles.

And now the Health department has ceased all vaccine outreach, not just Covid, but ALL vaccine outreach under pressure from the Republicans.

What the actual fuck?

Two reasons:

1. It’s science. Republicans are now firmly, firmly anti-science. Even if this means people will die.

2. If Democrats are in favor of something, they MUST be against it. Democrats favor vaccinations. Therefore it follows that they, as good Republicans, must oppose vaccinations.

This is why I think Democrats should come out strongly against smashing your own nuts with a hammer.

‘Just as we’re beginning to recover from the lumber shortage, home carpenters now face a hammer shortage - more at 11!’

I wonder if selling stuff using Fauci’s name runs afoul of IP laws?

Particularly here:

"Proper marketing is critical to proving that a personal name functions as a trademark. Marketing pieces should prominently feature the name in a manner that conveys that it is a brand, the marketing should be consistent, and often, marketing must be extensive.

Another challenge in creating trademark rights in a person’s name is that the name must be unusual enough to differentiate the goods or services from those provided by others. For those born with unusual names, meeting this requirement is not a problem."

Oh I really hope it’s something that the good doctor can sue for. Of course, it’ll just cost the state instead of the asshole making money off of it, probably.

While I don’t know for sure that this gun manufacturer in Utah is Republican, that’s the way to bet, and their idea was definitely stupid! Real gun made to look like it was assembled from Legos! Yes, you heard that right!

Needless to say, the Lego company was not amused. which these yahoos should have foreseen. And I love :roll_eyes: that they turned even their reluctant compliance with Lego’s demand into right-wing snark.

It seems that no matter what we create in the firearms industry, anti-gunners seem to leverage every true innovation shortly after its release to talk about why guns are bad.

No, dumbass, making a gun look like a toy is not a “true innovation” in firearms. It’s a pure marketing gimmick at best (doesn’t make the gun one bit better as a gun) and a highly foreseeable invitation to a bloody tragedy involving a kid. :rage:

I doubt it. Otherwise Trump would have sued each and every one of the umpteen zillion manufacturers that are selling everything from t-shirts to urinal screens with is likeness.

This site suggests that the use of another’s trademark might be permissible under “informative” uses. I think as long as consumers aren’t being fooled into believing that Faucci endorsed this merch they are probably OK.

Oh man, this fucking has steam coming from my ears. I went to the website and they have a statement about this “controversy” and it’s full of so much garbage, it makes me ill.

What kind of evil gun worshipping fool would make this deadly fucking weapon look like a toy that every kid plays with? He or she should be ashamed, but I know they are not.

The other complexity is that the name must already be in use as a trademark on marketing/advertising a product. Trademarks are claimed, they don’t just appear out of thin air, and someone who uses one (of any sort, not just a personal name) must use it to identify a product for sale and defend that trademark against unauthorized uses, or lose the claimed trademark entirely. If Fauci himself sold “Fauci brand personal Covid masks” (or whatever) then he could claim his name as the trademark and defend it against all comers. Otherwise it’s just a name.

More here.

• squeegee (“my father was an IP lawyer”), Esq.

But if someone other than Fauci started putting out Fauci brand facemasks made out of tissue paper with his picture on it, wouldn’t he have grounds to sue even if he had no intention of entering the face mask market?

Otherwise I am surprised that there aren’t a slew of products branded after famous celebrities who haven’t bothered forming a brand that have no connection with the celebrity themselves.