New theater policy: small children barred from R movies after 6 PM

Come on folks, surely there is someone out there who has taken their little kids to R movies - we’ve all seen it done. Don’t be shy - step up and tell us why you do it.

[hijack]I would love to go to a “no persons 65+” showing of a movie. Don’t get me wrong, I love the elderly. But for the love of peanut butter why must they talk through the entire movie?[/hijack]

Oh yeah: Add my vote in favor of the no little kids rule.

Just don’t bash people blindly for taking their kids out at night. Not everyone works regular hours and it only makes sense to synchronise your kids’ schedule to your own. With year rounds schools and the like, you never know what somebody’s situation might be. Just because their out with their kids at midnight does not make them some kind of abusive parent.

But taking a six year old to an R rated movie does seem pretty extreme. Not letting a sixteen year old seems ridiculous though.

There’s this wonderful theater here in Austin called the Alamo Drafthouse. It serves beer and food while you watch your movies. I’m guessing it’s because of this fact that they have a policy that no children under the age of 13 are allowed in the theater, with the exception of “Baby Days”, when they have special shows during the day strickly so parents with small children who can’t get away can bring them in and watch nice, family oriented movies.

I can’t cound the number of times I’ve gone to a late night horror movie and ended up next to the family. I’d say a good 80% of the time. When I went and saw Event Horizon, a guy with a six year old; when I went and saw Spawn, a guy with a four year old; when I went to see Blade 2 a couple with three children ranging from I’m guessing 2-8. Somehow, they’re always within five seats of me. Oh, and at a sneak peak of Dude, Where’s my Car?, it seemed like a school bus had just dropped off thier kids strickly to sit behind me. I love this policy, and I think more places need to impliment such policies.

This is a brilliant idea. I am all for it. I hope it catches on elsewhere!

Um…Elvis? You paid money to see Dude, Where’s My Car? I would think you might want to welcome the distraction of talking behind you.

I would rather for movies that are rated for 14 and up, for those who are younger not to be allowed even with a parent or guardian.
I mean, what is the difference if the parent was there or not? Sure, they’d explain how this is all make-belief, but these things imprint on a young one’s mind.

Then again they’d be able to dl them off the internet as soon as someone would have filmed them, or rent them.

Personally, I think the idea of rating movies based on their content and using those ratings to prohibit people below a certain age from seeing the movies is ridiculous. As a member of the audience, all I care about is being able to watch the movie in peace. Noisy babies and children prevent that. If someone wants to take their five-year-old to see Saving Private Ryan or The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, they should be allowed to do so, as far as I’m concerned. But if the five-year-old begins making a commotion, he and his parents should be asked to leave the theater. I realize that movies of that sort aren’t appropriate for small children, but that’s beside the point.

When they released the special edition of The Exorcist a few years ago, a friend and I went to see it at the local AMC theater. They made everyone buying a ticket show their ID at the ticket booth and there was an employee standing outside the auditorium showing The Exorcist making sure everyone had a ticket. So with the exception of maybe a couple of kids who managed to sneak in some way, everyone there was eighteen or older. Enjoying the movie was almost impossible. For those who don’t know, The Exorcist has numerous potentially shocking and offensive scenes. The audience was made up mostly of young adults and they yelled, laughed, cheered, and generally made nuisances of themselves during these scenes. During the quieter dialogue-heavy scenes in between, they held conversations among themselves at a volume appropriate for a restaurant, not a movie theater. I seriously, for the first time in my life, considered asking for my money back. During the course of the screening, several people got up from their seats, left the auditorium, and returned a few minutes later. Some were probably just going to the bathroom, but some must have been complaining about the noise. Absolutely nothing was done. I would have preferred a group of well-mannered children rather that those obnoxious adults.

And as for parents who can’t find or afford a babysitter for their potentially noisy kids (and come on, you know your kids and you know if they’re going to behave themselves or not), they may just have to resign themselves to missing a movie they really want to see or waiting until it’s on DVD or video. I’m sure I’ll get flamed for saying this, but the responsibility of parenthood means that you can’t just pop out to see a movie or a play whenever you feel like it. Parenthood means losing a certain amount of personal freedom. And I think most parents on the SDMB would agree with me.

Yep, it’s a good idea.

Normally, I dislike any rule that essentially tells parents how to raise their kids – now, I think parents who bring their kids to extremely violent or sexual movies are shitheads, but they can raise their kids the way they see fit as long as they’re not abusing them. However, in this case, their subpar parenting is infringing on other people’s enjoyment of the movie, and that’s worth making a rule about.

MidnightRadio, I don’t know why you think you’d get flamed for saying that.

I think there will be many people who do regard this as a form of abuse.

The capitalist in me says that movie chains are private businesses and can set up any rules they want.

The moviegoer in me says that I’m glad more theaters are going to enact (and hopefully enforce) these kind of rules since I get annoyed by young children at rated-R movies.

So with that, my split personalities are in agreement.

Yes- PLEASE! I was in line with some parents taking their pre-school or Kindergarten kids to see Texas Chainsaw.

OK, I can see an arguement for Saving Private Ryan- “war is horrible and glorious all at once” or something. But TCM?! WTF?

I like to hang out by the playground, pulling my Miramax jacket tightly around me. “Hey kid,” I rasp whenever one of the children wanders close to the chain-link fence sans adult supervision. “Y’ever had any o’ that American Pie?”

Sometimes they scoff at me: “Dude, Pie is for wussies. I’ve been to Strangeland.

It’s a different world…

Probably. I’d disagree with them, though.

While I wouldn’t categorize letting kids see R films depicting sex acts as abuse, it may be an appropriate term for letting them see very violent films. I know that I have inadvertently caused my own young kids to be very scared to the extent of having sleepless nights after seeing something I thought was innocuous. Goodness knows what state they would have been in if I’d taken them to The Texas Chainsaw Massacre or similar. “Abuse” may be an excessive term, but it is at least “dipshit stupid”.

AMEN!!! That’s a step in the right direction!!! I’d LOOOOVe to see it extend to NO children allowed in R rated movies.

Rock on, theater, rock on. If I knew a theater by me did that, they’d become my exlcusive theater.

Hmmm. Good policy. I propose that it be extended - no children under 13 are admitted to R-rated movies at all, parental presence or not (mostly because of the PG13 rating that exists, not because I think a 12 year-old could not hand it, while a 13 year-old could). This kills two birds with one stone:

1.) No more of the irritating misbehaving children, and no more feeling uncomfortable with children being present.

2.) The whole parental judgement thingie is sidestepped. You want your kids to see an R-rated movie? Fine, get it on video or DVD.

3.) …you all know what goes here…

In my neighborhood theater, they have been doing this for about a year and I believe it also applies to NC-17. They did it for the other patrons, not to “protect the widdle children”. The idea is, if you want to bring your kids with you, there is nothing wrong with that. But you’ll do it at the matinee. If people pay full price for tickets, they get to watch their movie without babies crying, ankle biters running up and down the halls, etc.

I love it. I’m a parent, and I don’t censor my kids very much at all when we are at home. (My son’s favorite movie when he was 3 was The Rock). But you just don’t take little kids to “grown up” movies out of consideration for other people. I left the theater with my daughter at Ice Age because she was bored and started getting loud. I’m a dick, and generally don’t give a crap what people think of me, but I still try to be considerate of others. After tickets, popcorn, some other snacks and so forth, you are talking 30 bucks or better just for two people to catch a night movie. If I wanted to listen to little assholes running, yelling and playing tag, I can stay home and watch TV. I’m also the guy that will tell an adult to shut the F*%K up in a theater.

I agree with what others have said. It isn’t the fault of the kids. It is the fault of inconsiderate shits that think a theater is a babysitter and/or that other people should just deal with their kid’s rotten behavior.

As far as the “child abuse” thing in letting a little kid watch a rated R movie… I’m not even gonna get started on that crap.

I heard somewhere that a movie will get an R automatically if it shows someone getting kicked in the head. Is this true?

As to the fuck rule, I think they are allowed 3 ‘non-sexual’ fucks and keeping a PG13 (i.e. ‘Fuck! They’re still after us!’) but only one ‘sexual’ fuck (‘I’d like to fuck her!’).