New Toyota Japan Ad with Topless Model

I don’t get it, are we supposed to think that this is an estate car from the rear, but then we look up front and it’s not?

It ain’t the nipple, dude. It’s what the nipple is sitting on. :stuck_out_tongue:

Japanese culture is both more and less conservative than that of the US, depending on what exactly one is talking about. For instance, I was living in Japan at the time of Janet Jackson’s Superbowl “wardrobe malfunction”, and the Japanese people I knew thought it was hilarious that Americans were shocked or offended by this.

I have no idea how this particular ad is going over in Japan, but Japan does have a long tradition of cross-dressing in entertainment (ranging from traditional kabuki theater to nightclub performers) so the gender-bending aspect of this commercial probably isn’t in and of itself seen as especially shocking. The model’s skimpy costume might be a different story, I don’t know.

ETA: For what it’s worth, while I don’t think a commercial like this would air on US television, I remember at least one far weirder gender-bending ad that did. I can’t recall what it was for – a soft drink? a car? – but there was a 20-something “dude” character who had a magic device that made the things around him more awesome. He turned his car into a cooler car, then turned his dude buddy into a sexy woman and drove off with her. The transformation actually took place on screen, with the friend reacting with horror to the breasts sprouting on his chest and yelling for his friend to stop. It was pretty disturbing.

Yep. It’s a guy. ** shudders **

The woman who turned out to be a man thing was briefly entertaining. I guess it was a car ad. I don’t know for what brand. I couldn’t tell you which model.

I can. It was a male model.

Amusing poster/post content combination.

I think it’s a “crossover”. o.0

End the thread.

Since the OP hinted at a surprise, I expected it as soon as the add began.
Nice. I like me some androgyny.

NO.

One of the dangers of living in a non-homogenous population: just about everybody looks like they might be from here. :wink:

True story.

My brother and I were biking along a highway and were about 20 minutes ahead of a pack of female racers. The road was lined with people waiting for the group of racers to come by. As we approached one vehicle, we could clearly see a guy inside taking lots of pictures. When we were really close, he lowered the camera and looked at his friend, face crestfallen and said, “Those are dudes!” My brother and I nearly fell off our bikes laughing.

One bar owner in our Patpong red-light area hired a bunch of ladyboys one time, because Japanese businessmen really liked to take them off for some personal recreation. But then the business season or whatever ended, and the Japanese customers dried up, so the owner had to let all the ladyboys go, because no one else wanted them.

I recall sitting in Big Dog Bar one time, right at the entrance to Nana Plaza, the big red-light “shopping center,” watching the world go by, when I saw this older Japanese man running – not walking but running – to a taxi with two ladyboys in tow from one of the several ladyboy bars in the place. The Japanese may not be the onoly ones to patronize ladyboys, but they do seem really to like them.

What are you, some sort of pun nazi?

Thread ended

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law

Thread continues.

It’s a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world.

Reported.