New Word:

So I’m reading this CV on the net, when he uses the word ‘Architected’ to decribe the solution he (designed) for a customer.

Architect is a noun, without verb forms.

I double-checked with dictionary.com, then sent off an Email to him, telling him that making up words to use in a CV is probably counter-productive.

Then I got to thinking about it – maybe I’m just behind the times. So I searched for ‘architected’ on Yahoo. 12400 hits.

Yikes!

What do you think? Can we state that this is a new verb yet? When does it become a word by acclamation?

just because everyone jumps off an architected building…

Logistically, I suppose one can say it’s a new word when the majority of people you talk to will know what you’re talking about. Like the transformation of “Columbine” into a verb. Technically, I suppose it doesn’t exist until it’s in a respected dictionary (and I sure as heck wouldn’t use it on a CV)…

Verbing Weirds Language.

Hate to break it to you, Danalan, but the OED has architect as a verb. In fact, their first cite from 1818 uses “architected.” Although it’s not a terribly common usage, it does have its place. Given the number of hits you find on the web, it may make it’s way into smaller dictionaries eventually, though it may remain as jargon.

Just wondering, why would you email someone to criticize their CV on the web? Were they asking for input?

Bullshit words like that -whether they are genuine or coined- just make the text needlessly chewy & gives the impression of pomposity. Simplicity is a virtue when writing. Why could the word built, designed or planned not have been used just as effectively?

The CV was part of the brag on the companies website (Our Expert Staff). I did apologize – started my Email with ‘Sorry, but someone has to stop the madness:’

But I also felt like busting their balls. The companies site was just so full of BS. It even had the typical mission statement, so PC and unreal.

Sorry, but what the hell is a CV?

Isn’t that totally spam?

Curiculum Vitae(sp?) - a Resume.

Don’t mean to be harsh, but anybody who read that resume with the intent of hiring (i.e. someone familiar with his job responsibilities) would know immediately what “architected” meant and probably uses it regularly in their vocabulary.

Attrayant wrote

Well, this gets close to splitting hairs, but my use of the word “architected” doesn’t mean what any of those words mean, although it’s close.

build: construct something
design: decide on functionality of something
plan: could mean schedule, plan design, plan build, or other. much broader word
architect: design the inner workings (or architecture) of something

Isn’t what spam? Sending one Email to a company, in response to a perceived error on their website?

Just to be clear – this is not some poor sap’s personal resume on his own web page. I might find that use of ‘architected’ funny (and sad), but I wouldn’t send an Email. This was the companies CV of a valued employee. The word was not used, IMHO, to clarify – it was a lame attempt to impress.

Here’s the companies link: http://www.edward-lowe.com/

Click on ‘Our People’, then on Rocky. Be sure to also check out the ‘About ELA’ section for the cliche mission statement.

I think the use of ‘architected’ is wrong in this, and any, case. If we allow this noun to become a verb, we continue a trend that is making our language more complex than it already is.

Furthermore, I don’t find it mean or cruel in any way to point out errors on peoples and companies web pages. When you put something out on the web, you are putting it in a public place. If it’s not correct, you should be thankful someone is letting you know. Any angry response must be driven by an inability to take criticism, and a culture that seeks to fix the blame – not the problem.

It’s lubricated! Well, I’m phasing.

Good one, SPOOFE!

I have to agree that Rocky has certainly overused the word. Architect and its derivatives shouldn’t appear that many times in a single resume.

What’s this “if we allow” bit? It’s not like we’re the French. One of the great things about the English language is that it constantly adapts and has a sort of organic growth to it. As I pointed out, architected is already an established word, and I agree with Bill H. that it has a slightly different connotation than built, designed, or planned. In most cases, it has a jargonish sound and should be avoided. (See how easy it is to use a word like jargonish in English and have people understand it. I was hoping it was a “made up” word, but apparently, it goes back to 1816.)

Now that I know it wasn’t just some poor guy’s resume, I don’t have any problem with what you did. I just wasn’t sure what the circumstance was initially. I agree that the company’s web site is not particularly good, which I find disturbing given that one of their services is web design. There’s enough bad web design out there without “professionals” adding to it.

Wouldn’t this just be another buzz word though? Sometimes old words are brought back to life with a different meaning in the biz. world. Of course I wouldn’t know, I’m still in college. However, I find it pretty interesting how knowing a few buzz words can make you seem really smart and allow you to get a job, if only for 6mo. and then they discover that you really don’t know jack and you’re tossed out faster than moldy cheese.

I think if anyone used this word around me, I’d tell them that they “really vexed me on that one and thou shall go stick thine head into ye olde watering hole and breath in, ya dig? Narly dude.”

Point of order: “gnarly” is spelled with a g. No, I don’t know why.

Oh, sorry “d00d” that’s not my generation man. Thanks though. :slight_smile:

[sub]My generation is one known for horrific spelling.[/sub]

I notioned to text on this, but serenitied against it.

Peace,
TN*hippie