New Words for the Dictionary

I heard they are looking for new words for the English Dictionary. Anyone have any ideas to send them? I know this is what all you closet writers have dreamed of… this is your chance to be published!

“Only when he no longer knows what he is doing, does the painter do good
things.” --Edgar Degas

“transphylite” – someone who undergoes a species change operation.

The nice thing is that if there ever is a need for the term, the OED will have to quote me as the originator (IASFM, June 1982).

How about “wiseassery”?

You say “cheesy” like that’s a BAD thing.

Trollspew

See: Jedi-667

Isomania.

There are all kinds of names for so-called personality disorders in the psychological world. Manic-depressive, attention-deficit, mild high-functioning autistic (that’s mine!), etc., etc. All of these are deviations from some arbitrary norm. So I propose that if we’re going to define personality types as diseases, let’s go all the way and call “normal” a disease too. The word is isomania, from the Greek prefix iso-, “same”.

Schplank.

I made it up, and sort of adapt it to whatever meaning I feel like at the moment. It’s particularly good for censoring expletives or for in-joke codes.

So where do we send these new words, anyway?

It is too clear, and so it is hard to see.

Dopeler effect:
The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.

plasta = (noun) the result of putting noodles in a plastic bowl that is not microwave safe…

We are, each of us angels with only one wing;
and we can only fly by
embracing one another

Thingie (thing-ee) n.

female: Any part under a car’s hood.??

male: The strap fastener on a woman’s bra.

Procrastinology

The science of…uh…I’ll finish this later…

JB
Lex Non Favet Delictorum Votis

Check out any of the words here! http://www.notam.uio.no/~hcholm/altlang/ht/English.html

Equivolumination- n. The act of balancing a lightswitch midway between the on and off positions, in the hopes that a condition midway between “on” and “off” will result in the appropriate bulb.

Modest? You bet I’m modest! I am the queen of modesty!

Here’s a link with more info:
http://oed.com/readers/research.htm

You have to have cites in print, more’s the pity :frowning:

Catrandom

Don’t quite recall where you send them but I think it was the Oxdford Cambridge that was doing it. I believe that’s the English one so be sure to add alot of extra U’s to the word

“Only when he no longer knows what he is doing, does the painter do good
things.” --Edgar Degas